British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-04-15, 10:00 AM

Default 128th Highland Field Regiment

Can any member help me to check something that is said to be in The Story of an Artillery Regiment of the 51st Highland Division, a history of 128th (Highland) Field Regiment.

The only reference I have found to this book states it was by Geoff Durand and published in 1989. It does not appear in the British Library’s catalogue.

Can anyone give me further details and if they have a copy, check something out for me please?

Jon
Old 20-04-15, 10:12 AM

Default 128 (H) Fd Regt RA

Jon, Does this help at all? Robert might (might) have a copy. Mike
http://51hd.co.uk/accounts/128_field_regiment
Old 20-04-15, 11:47 AM

Mike,

Thank you. That's where I got the reference from but it does not give sufficient bibliographic details. I'll try Robert.

Jon
Old 21-04-15, 06:36 AM

Jon

I have sent a PM regarding a possible source for the history you refer too - fingers crossed, it sounds like a limited circulation.

Mike
Old 02-05-15, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
Can any member help me to check something that is said to be in The Story of an Artillery Regiment of the 51st Highland Division, a history of 128th (Highland) Field Regiment.

The only reference I have found to this book states it was by Geoff Durand and published in 1989. It does not appear in the British Library’s catalogue.

Can anyone give me further details and if they have a copy, check something out for me please?

Jon
Jon

I've got a copy, what are you after?

Phil
Old 03-05-15, 01:37 PM

Phil,

Thanks for your offer of help

I’d like the details of the publisher and ISBN if it has one. I’d also like to know if this was a book written in wartime or if it was compiled later from recollections and anecdotes as it is supposed to contain the quote ‘Our divisional shoulder flashes were alike to those worn by the 51st except for the difference which was the reversal of the colours; the HD and surrounding circle in blue and mounted on a red background’.

As this is one of the few references to a reverse coloured version of the 51st Highland Division sign I’d like to be certain it’s a contemporary reference and not something recalled many years later.

Your help much appreciated

Jon
Old 07-06-15, 01:34 PM

I've got a copy too, but mine is a "printers copy" so doesn't have any ISBN or publisher details - it seems to have been written more recently going by the foreword.

I haven't read it so haven't seen the bit about the reversed colours but on the cover of mine it has the HD in black and white with a handwritten note that its a red HD and Circle so if this was done by Mr Durand himself he seems to be going against what its being claimed is inside the book (I'll have a look and see if I can find the reference).

Cheers

Alistair