British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-02-14, 11:08 PM

Default E Peachey, Royal Scots Greys

I purchased recently either a pouch or sabretache badge to the Royal Scots Greys. On the reverse is the name E PEACHEY. Being ignorant of the ways and means of searching online medal rolls etc. may I appeal to Forum members for help in identifying details pertaining to this soldier please. Any details, together with source, would be of great interest.

Many thanks

Best wishes

Gordon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2D Pouch Badge, E Peachey.jpg (55.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 2D Pouch Badge, E Peachey rev.jpg (56.2 KB, 51 views)
Old 23-02-14, 11:18 PM

Gordon,

There is no Medal Index Card (MIC) for E. Peachey, RSG in WW1

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 24-02-14, 06:09 AM

Sorry I can't help you with the name Gordon, but as you will know im sure that if your badge was worn on a Sabertache it would have been gilt at one stage as only Officer wore the Eagle on the Sabertache, other ranks had plain black.
Can you give some measurements and I will compare it to mine which has 3 screw posts.

All the best
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 24-02-14, 09:10 AM

There was an Edward Peachey in the 1st Royal Dragoons and whilst they used a french eagle, it was not the same as the one used by the Grey's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTankie View Post
I purchased recently either a pouch or sabretache badge to the Royal Scots Greys. On the reverse is the name E PEACHEY. Being ignorant of the ways and means of searching online medal rolls etc. may I appeal to Forum members for help in identifying details pertaining to this soldier please. Any details, together with source, would be of great interest.

Many thanks

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 24-02-14, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Gordon,

There is no Medal Index Card (MIC) for E. Peachey, RSG in WW1

regards
Hi Simon

Many thanks; that eliminates one possible source.

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 24-02-14, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Davey View Post
Sorry I can't help you with the name Gordon, but as you will know im sure that if your badge was worn on a Sabertache it would have been gilt at one stage as only Officer wore the Eagle on the Sabertache, other ranks had plain black.
Can you give some measurements and I will compare it to mine which has 3 screw posts.

All the best
Malc
Hi Malc

Many thanks for picking up my discrepancy.

I have the officer's undress sabretache badge as you describe so I am left with a pouch badge belonging to a soldier. Have you ever seen a photograph of this one being worn at all? If so it may help to identify the time and place and help to position our friend PEACHEY a little more accurately.
I have also sent details to RSDG museum but curator is short handed and snowed under so I don't expect an answer for a month at the earliest.

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 24-02-14, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
There was an Edward Peachey in the 1st Royal Dragoons and whilst they used a french eagle, it was not the same as the one used by the Grey's.
Hi Frank

That is interesting. May I ask how you discovered him?
It could well be that he transferred or was posted across at some stage, to make up numbers before the Greys moved overseas.

Regards

Gordon
Old 24-02-14, 08:16 PM

Gordon
I have just checked the Scots Greys negatives that I purchased recently and one shows mounted troopers and Officers c1893. The Officers pouch has an eagle on it, but I have no negatives which show other ranks pouches.
All the best
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 24-02-14, 09:12 PM

Hello Gordon,
No, forget I said that, William Edward Peachey's service papers are in WO364, but, they are indexed as Edward William and upon looking at them, he did not serve in the Grey's!
Regards Frank Kelley

Quote:
Hi Frank

It could well be that he transferred or was posted across at some stage, to make up numbers before the Greys moved overseas.

Regards

Gordon
Old 24-02-14, 09:49 PM

Gordon,
I did look at the available folio in WO97 and WO363 too, whilst Peachey is not a common name, there does not appear to be an obvoious or even near match either!
Regards again Frank

Quote:
Hi Frank

Regards

Gordon
Old 24-02-14, 10:56 PM

Hi Malc

I know its very difficult, verging on the impossible, to determine anything with degrees of confidence from negatives but is there the slightest chance that one will show a well defined eagle on the pouch? If so, are there any indicators for time and place?
I know I'm clutching at straws but I would like to pin our PEACHEY down within acceptable limits of accuracy.
We will probably find that the Pouch eagle was worn over a period of thirty years or more so where will that put us??

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 24-02-14, 11:01 PM

Hello Frank

Thank you also for your continued efforts. I am fast coming to the conclusion that not even the RSDG curatorial team will manage to find anything better but I will let you all know as and when.

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 24-02-14, 11:56 PM

Gordon
I am going to take some negatives to get developed next week I will take the one with the Officer is showing his pouch, it should show the eagle as I could make it out no problem with my eye glass.
I'm sorry but it only says Scots Greys on manoeuvres 1893
All the best
Malc

Old 25-02-14, 07:26 AM

I have no ides what he was in but I'm willing to bet that with a name like Peachey he had to take some stick from his mates.
Old 25-02-14, 07:47 AM

Gordon raises a very valid point, available army service papers only go to the 1920's and medal rolls to 1949.

Quote:
Hi Malc

I know its very difficult, verging on the impossible, to determine anything with degrees of confidence from negatives but is there the slightest chance that one will show a well defined eagle on the pouch? If so, are there any indicators for time and place?
I know I'm clutching at straws but I would like to pin our PEACHEY down within acceptable limits of accuracy.
We will probably find that the Pouch eagle was worn over a period of thirty years or more so where will that put us??

Best wishes

Gordon