British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-02-19, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

The cooks are in caps without badges except one w/m where as you wrote 'brass badges' in 1916. Did you mean to specify the metal
Old 19-02-19, 01:19 PM
LYPAO Boff

Alan.... i think the takeaway here is that the Yeomanry Regiments wore their own insignia up until the General Allenby Order to form the 74th Yeo Div in early 1917.

* Many of the early photos show badgeless forage caps with the odd one with a cap badge in..... in might be down to preference..... mid day heat in full sun in Egypt might make for a very hot metal cap badge...... just a thought.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 19-02-19, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

The order was received on 1 Jan 17 so it was right at the start of the year. The regtl history records that it was some time until the regt returned to France that were fitted out with BW equipment. No doubt the w/m thane continued in lieu of hackles for some months. What is certain is that there was not a bespoke Brass Thane for the BW period 1917-19.
Old 19-02-19, 05:08 PM
LYPAO Boff

This photo shows some of the 14th Btn... mainly FFY at Wadi Asher. This is the time when the Black Watch reinforcements to the Yeomanry were just arriving and acclimatizing. I think this is in April 1917 (off the top of my head). FFY forage Caps and Wolseys.... couple or three Tams.

Other Ranks Mess
14th (Fife and Forfar Yeomanry) Btn, The Black Watch.
Wadi Asher

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 27-01-20, 12:45 AM

I correspond with Keith Hook about GM F&F Yeo badges some months ago. He’s been collecting Yeomanry since the early 1950s and tells me the GM badge was not worn by the 14th BW, it’s a badge myth.

Rather the GM thane was pre-war worn by the F&F Yeomen from 1908 on khaki uniform with the WM badge retained for wear on the coloured peaked cap. So it’s an early TY era badge, rather nicely demonstrated in the picture in post #112. However it does mean the graphic in post #118 is wrong.
Old 13-03-22, 12:52 PM

Default Also 13th Battalion

Can we infer from this great thread that the 13th (Scottish Horse) Bn Black Watch only wore the BW badge?

Also, (notwithstanding the issue of when any brass Thane was worn) that from the designation to reform / retitle as Black Watch battalions, there would have been a period when soldiers would have worn their original badges until re-kitted?

Chris
Old 13-03-22, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

The Yeomanry regiments that converted to infantry often retained their Yeomanry badges even when the new recruits were issued the infantry ones. I have read several account of this.
Old 13-03-22, 05:18 PM

Perhaps I can add a bit more from my family perspective. I’ve posted images on another thread of my great uncles badges, belt and bonnet. He served with the 1/1st Scottish Horse, joining Jan 15 and mobilised Later that year. Moved to the Mediterranean theatre. His bonnet (still with the family) has a wm Scottish Horse badge and photos taken in 1915 show him wearing this. His service record states that he transferred to the 13 Bn Royal Highlanders on 17th Nov 16. He served with the E.E.F. until early 1918 when he contracted malaria and was evacuated to Malta. Not fit for front line service he was transferred to the RAMC.
He appears to have retained all his military badges, uniform and photos. On his ‘hate belt’ is a brass Scottish Horse cap badge with a tartan backing (plus lots of Mediterranean theatre regiment badges and a Scottish Horse metal shoulder title). There is no Black Watch cap badge or shoulder title amongst his stuff. I can’t say for definite but I am fairly sure he was never issued a Black Watch badge but retained his Scottish Horse bonnet and badge throughout. In the desert his head gear probably did not have a badge?

Bryan
Old 13-03-22, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Or he had a red hackle which was often worn with no badge.

Tags
fife and forfar yeomanry, fife and forfay yeomanry