British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-11-19, 10:37 AM

Default Group of original Gurkha badges , cap or collar ? And identification please

Picked these up some time ago, if any one can kindly confirm which are cap badges and which are collar badges it would be a help.
Any identification much appreciated.
All were collected by one Gurkha Officer.
Thanks
Steve

Sorry for the angle that's how it came out on my tablet ...not very techno minded !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191113_103043.jpg (33.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191113_103131.jpg (28.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191113_103200.jpg (21.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 13-11-19, 07:41 PM

Bump
Old 14-11-19, 12:38 PM

Without a ruler for scale it is hard to be definite, but as a general rule, many of the GR regimental cap badges are quite small by British standards, especially if meant for the Kilmarnock pill box caps and not the wide brimmed hats. So, at first glance and with the proviso above about size, many if not all of these could be cap badges IMHO.

Here is a simple site to start with: https://www.badgesoftheworld.com/bri...ade-of-gurkhas It will ID all the modern badges, mosat have which have changed only minimally from the WWII period.
Old 14-11-19, 12:42 PM

The '26th GR' is a nice one: wartime unit of short duration: formed in 1942-43 from pensioners, surplus recruits etc. The unit was used for guard duties and in Burma as protection troops in the forward areas. Disbanded in 1946.

Ditto the 15th - quite rare, I believe, based on prices.

I think it's safe to say these all or almost all date from the pre-'47 era: made for British GR units, not post Partition Indian ones. A very nice collection. Thanks for sharing.

Peter
Old 14-11-19, 12:42 PM

Hi Steve - in photo 1 they are all cap badges. It's difficult to tell if they are all original without examining them but they don't have the usual obvious "tells" of reproductions so that's encouraging. The 1GR on the bottom is post 1950 , and the badge with the crossed kukris and the GV cyphers is a bit of a mystery badge - it might be something to do with the 1st GR the museum is not sure.
In photo 2 the 15th is a curio rather than an original badge - confidently described by some dealers as "WW2 reinforcement btn" - there was no such unit. Instead it was a manufacturers error and never worn by anyone. Although one dealer is asking £69 for one! On the bottom row the crossed kukris could be a collar for the 6th or it might be a cap badge for the 6th with it's "6" missing. The 10th I think is a beret badge - the rest are all cap badges. Finally the 3rd Photo is the 26th cap badge and shoulder titles to the 7th. Tim
Old 14-11-19, 03:59 PM

Thank you all for your time and effort responding , I have no concerns regarding authenticity , just curious as Gurkha's isn't my theam but was offered this nice group .
Many thanks
Steve