British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-02-09, 12:16 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default Copied H.P.C.'s

Good morning gentlemen,
I have just returned from our local Military fair, it's title, for anyone in the midlands who might be interested for the future, is :- The International Antique Arms and Armour Fair, it is held about four times a year in the British Motor Cycle Museum, near the N.E.C.
As you can imagine, it is mainly weapons, some uniforms and a lot of german gear but there are quite a few badge sellers there including one who deals mainly in very expensive, mainly Officers' insignia and regalia ( I love it ).
Sadly, the reason for the post is that I was looking at some helmet plates and I came across those being sold as original HP's but with two lugs on the centres, that's the badge type lugs and not the hoop type.
The disappointing aspect is that when I pointed out to the seller that I thought that they were repros ( in fact dozens are being offered on ebay for £10.99p ), he just shrugged his shoulders, I found that sad, needless to say, I walked away.
Just for the record and as I am so often saying, my knowledge is limited, I have also seen a different seller, again, on ebay, selling HP centres with four hoop type lugs but the hoops appear to be bent in the middle as opposed to shaped ( as in a paper-clip shape ), again, I'm sure these too, are repros, I guess vigilance and experience are needed more than ever in todays' market ??
Just an observation and of course, my opinion.
Dave.

Last edited by davec2; 15-02-09 at 01:03 PM.