British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-08-13, 08:52 AM

Default South African Army chrome badges

Hi,
I am trying to find when chrome badges was officially adopted by the SA Army replacing the Gilt and GM badges. This would include Cap badges, collar badges and buttons.

I have a copy from one of the forum members of SADF badge regulations c.1970 and this still refers to Gilt and GM badges except for the chrome intelligence corps badges. I also have copies of pictures from Paratus magazine c.1975 showing chrome badges and a 1986 copy of badge regulations all refering to chrome badges. So my assumption is that the change over occured somewhere between 1970 and 1975.

There is anouther twist to this in the issue of 'Staybrite' badges. These were similar to the Britsh anodised aluminium badges but were made of brass and plated with a coating (very pale silver gilt colour). This i assume was done do avoid having to polish your badge. Were these the precursor to the chrome badges? The quality of the plating was very poor and tended to chip quite easily and maybe this prompted the changeover to chrome badges that had a much better finish and tended not to chip.
I have seen Springbok buttons, Generals buttons SA type 2 titles, and various cap and collar badges in this 'Staybrite' finish. Maybe with the help of fellow members, we can compile a list of these 'Staybrite' badges.

Regards
Steven

Last edited by Milmed; 14-09-13 at 07:55 AM.
Old 23-08-13, 10:21 AM

Hi Steven, the best I could find was that it appears that the orders were issued in 1975, and most units had adopted chromed badges by 1976. I didn't have documentation for this. Regards Andrew
Old 23-08-13, 10:39 AM

Thanks Andrew,
I have seen Paratus pictures post 1972 and pre 1975 with what appears to be the 'Staybrite' badges but printed colour photography from the 1970's can be decieving. I am still hoping to get a difinative answer.

Regards
Steven
Old 23-08-13, 11:39 AM

Hi Steven

AFAIK the change to chrome badges came with the stepout uniform, which was announced in 1974 and first issued in 1975/76. I was issued with chrome badges and buttons in 1976. As with all changeovers, it would have taken some time to issue every unit and member with the new items, so the old brass insignia probably lingered for a while after 1976. Some tradition-minded CF units never changed over and continue to wear GM/brass to this day.

Arthur
Old 23-08-13, 01:46 PM

Thanks Arthur,
So a 1975 +- timelime is about right then.

Steven
Old 24-08-13, 10:53 AM

Hi,
I visited a friend today who has quite an extensive SA collection including the 'staybrite' badges. As said before these were regular gilt/gm badges coated with liqued that has the appearence of a gold coloured anodized badge. The coating tended to chip and/or peel, so these were short lived and replaced with chrome badges. This process appears to have been done in the early seventies. Here is an incomplete list of insignia that I have managed to identify:

South African Infantry (Bokkie) cap and collar badges
South African Gymnasium cap and collar badges
South African Artillery cap and grenade collar badges
South African Corps of Engineers cap and collar badges
South African Corps of Military Police cap and collar badges
South African Medical Corps collar badges
South African Army Service Corps cap and collar badges
South African Air Force cap and collar badges

Cape Town Rifles cap and collar badges
Cape Town Highlanders bonnet and collar badges

S.A. titles and springbok buttons
Generals tunic buttons
WOI and WOII rank badges
Stars and Castles rank badges

South African Police cap, collars, shoulder titles and buttons
South African Railway Police cap, collars, shoulder titles and buttons
South African Prison Service cap, collars, shoulder titles and buttons

If anyone is able to add to the list please go ahead.

Regards
Steven
Old 24-08-13, 11:23 AM

Hi Steven, I think the term for these badges was stayglo (stay bright being anodised badges). I have also seen a Transvaal Scottish badge like this. I think some were privately done. Regards Andrew