British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-05-08, 11:40 PM

you should get ulsterman and faugh a ballagh to take a look at them. I bet one of them knows what the crowned harp is.

Here is another idea. The Armagh County Museum has a large collection of militia badges, I know I have seen this badge before in a museum, I just can't remember where. This is one of the places that have a massive collection and could be the place I remember it from.

It is right down the road from the Royal Irish Fus. regimental museum in Armagh city. you could contact them through

http://www.armaghcountymuseum.org.uk/contact_us/

They might be able to help too.

Get them to look at both badges to see if they can help.

if collectors can get to this museum I would strongly recommend it, it has many one offs that I have never seen before from a Militia standpoint. because it is a county museum it is sometimes overlooked but is a treasure trove of badges, accoutrements, etc.

Kevin
Old 02-05-08, 09:01 AM
ulsterman

Thanks Kevin,

I never knew the county museum also held badges - an interesting tip! I have been meaing to visit the Armagh RIF Museum for ages but have never had the chance to call over. Im of work for a week in a fortnights time so I will have to make the effort to go.
Old 02-05-08, 05:21 PM

Ok this QVC harp badge has got me going now. I don't have any pictoral reference on this but could it be Cape Town Irish Rifles. I have a picture of the Piper's Badge with the QVC and the Harp, and I have a picture of the KC with the gaelic harp but I don't have a picture of the QVC badge with the Gaelic harp. Later the SA irish dropped the crown altogether and changed their motto from "Who will seperate us?" to "Clear the Way." didn't know any of the that. I did find a guy willing to sell a CD of Scottish and Irish influence on Worlds Badges for 10 pounds that is supposed to have the Uniforms and Badges. Any one have this. I thinks it is called Uniforms of the World.

Here is the link

http://www.uniformsotw.co.uk/products/cd4.htm

I think I am broadening the search rather than narrowing it sorry Conor,

Kevin

Last edited by sixroadends; 02-05-08 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-05-08, 07:26 PM

The badge-without-a-crown is so crude that I wonder if it could indeed have been some form of "home made" emblem worn by the Fenians in the 1860s - not necessarily a cap badge, but possibly a lapel badge worn as a sign of political affiliation. On a footnote, the Fenians did some very peculiar things - one of the oddest being an attempt to capture Chester Castle, which was rumbled when a railway ticket clerk at Liverpool wondered why over 1,000 armed Scousers were booking single tickets to Chester and tipped off the police.
Old 02-05-08, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley_C_Jenkins View Post
...which was rumbled when a railway ticket clerk at Liverpool wondered why over 1,000 armed Scousers were booking single tickets ....and tipped off the police.
Are you sure that they weren't going to the UEFA Champions League Final? lmao.
Old 03-05-08, 07:23 AM

I hope the person who originally posted the picture of this badge will not mind me bringing it up again as it has not been positively identified.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic403.JPG (3.9 KB, 99 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 04-05-08, 06:11 PM

Default mYstery badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixroadends View Post
you should get ulsterman and faugh a ballagh to take a look at them. I bet one of them knows what the crowned harp is.

Here is another idea. The Armagh County Museum has a large collection of militia badges, I know I have seen this badge before in a museum, I just can't remember where. This is one of the places that have a massive collection and could be the place I remember it from.

It is right down the road from the Royal Irish Fus. regimental museum in Armagh city. you could contact them through

http://www.armaghcountymuseum.org.uk/contact_us/

They might be able to help too.

Get them to look at both badges to see if they can help.

if collectors can get to this museum I would strongly recommend it, it has many one offs that I have never seen before from a Militia standpoint. because it is a county museum it is sometimes overlooked but is a treasure trove of badges, accoutrements, etc.

Kevin
Both a mystery to me! But enjoying reading the threads. Will definitely take a trip to Armagh soon and have a look at the RIF and County museums. Never been to the county one, but they're both on the Mall, so not hard to find.