British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-11-21, 11:23 AM

Default Correct Jewish Chaplains' A.Ch.Dept. for WWI

Hi All,

I have three more badges to collect to complete my collection of regular WWI cap badges, one of which is a Jewish Chaplains' badge.

As this is at the rarer and pricier end of things, can anyone give me any tips or warnings?

1. Correct Pattern

I presume the "correct" badge to go for is the crowned Star of David (KK976) rather than the crownless one that K&K describe as an "Unofficial badge worn in 1914" (KK975).

2. Correct Fitment and Maker's Mark

I have only ever seen it with a slider. Is that the only correct fitment? Might there be any maker's mark?

3. Choice of Metals

K&K describe it as in Black Metal. Is this the only metal it came in? No bronze or gilt?

4. Fakery

I'm guessing these badges are not widely faked as they are so hard to come by. Am I right about this? If not, are there any tell-tale signs I should look out for?

5. Price

I've seen a crownless version with blades for sale for £130. Is this the sort of price I might expect to pay for the crowned version?

6. Leads

Anyone know where I might find one? I've tried all the dealers I can think of. Anyone on here want to do a swap or sell? Do they come up from time to time or do you never see them?

Thanks

Tom
Old 09-11-21, 04:14 PM

There were 17 Jewish chaplains during WWI as discussed recently so personally I would not expect to find an original badge.

The one with the crown is normally found on period pictures. If these are made the same as badges for Christian chaplains, they would be made of brass painted black or bronze. I would expect to find one with blades or lugs, not a slider.
Old 22-12-21, 04:14 PM

JewishChaplain-AIF_20191103_144611_HDR.jpg

JewishChaplain-AIF_20191103_144533_HDR.jpg

...here's an example of one...(8{