British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-05-16, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
No idea - the only barracks in the vicinity in 1960 was Hobbs Barracks, Lingfield. Most of the hutted WW2 camps must have been demolished long before that. But if it was just HQ 1 Cdo Bde it could have been located in a requisitioned country house (the building I live in in Somerset was the HQ of a Bde in the Guards Armd Div and then Hqrs 3 US Armored Division 1943-44). Mike
Thanks Mike,
As a Police officer I was stationed at East Grinstead nick. I have no idea where they would have been either, but back in 1988 when there was a firearms amnesty and we were called to a house on the Turners Hill road. When we arrived the guy who owned it gave us two hand guns that he had found at the back of his safe?? He said that he had no idea where they had come from, only that two commandos were billeted at his house during the war. Wouldn't you like to have known where they came from! A commando raid, trade with a mate, who knows??

Regards
Irv
Old 04-05-16, 03:53 PM

As a form of recognition guide here are a number of post-1944 Commando Group formation signs and, the single badge, the Commando qualification badge on my No 4 Dress c 1989. Mike
Commando Group and.or Cdo Bdes late 1944 onwards.jpgPost 1977 Cdo Qualification badge.01.jpg
Old 04-05-16, 10:52 PM

A few more examples and variations in my album
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=878

Tim
Old 05-05-16, 05:03 AM

Many thanks. I was interested to see that in at least one official (MOD) document c 1980s describing the qualification badge the expansion of FS was Field Service rather than Fairbairn Sykes. The MOD will be misnaming the Clegg Umbrella next! Mike