British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-11-20, 03:21 PM

Default Unknown General

Does anybody recognise this senior officer and can put a name to him please?

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg General cap.jpg (48.8 KB, 155 views)
Old 26-11-20, 05:41 PM

Shame it's not in colour - identifying the decorations would probably get you closer to an answer.

There is a resemblance to Lieutenant-General Sir Alan Cunningham, but I'm not convinced, personally.
Old 26-11-20, 06:28 PM

His medal ribbons appear to be :
- Order of the Bath (?), Order of the Indian Empire (?), Military Cross
- WWI trio (with mention in despatches), India General Service Medal 1908-25, India GSM 1936-39
- Defence Medal, War Medal, King George V Silver Jubilee, King George VI Coronation, foreign.

So : a WWI veteran, who served in India in the 1920s/30s and in WW II. The absence of WWII campaign stars suggests no operational command or service, and the Defence Medal indicates non-operational service during the war.

Arthur
Old 26-11-20, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur R View Post
- WWI trio (with mention in despatches), India General Service Medal 1908-25, India GSM 1936-39
- Defence Medal, War Medal, King George V Silver Jubilee, King George VI Coronation, foreign.

So : a WWI veteran, who served in India in the 1920s/30s and in WW II. The absence of WWII campaign stars suggests no operational command or service, and the Defence Medal indicates non-operational service during the war.
"Non-operational" is a bit thick! My RAF father defended Coventry in the blitz with his barrage balloons, and the D Day ships with his balloon flying from a deck. Definitely operational. [He also got several campaign stars in between]
Old 26-11-20, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
"Non-operational" is a bit thick! My RAF father defended Coventry in the blitz with his barrage balloons, and the D Day ships with his balloon flying from a deck. Definitely operational. [He also got several campaign stars in between]
I agree with you that the term "non-operational" is a bit thick (my father too was in Coventry during the blitz), but it's in the regulations.

Arthur
Old 27-11-20, 12:31 AM

Quote:

Looking through the generals in the 1945 Army List for an honours profile that fits the above I found one in the section for Indian Army Lt Gens

General Sir Rob McGregor MacDonald Lockhart KCB CIE MC

The "general" comes from later when appointed as the first Commander in Chief of the Indian Army following partition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Lockhart

https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/s...onald-Lockhart

There is "some" resemblance so is a possibility.
Old 27-11-20, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I agree with you that the term "non-operational" is a bit thick (my father too was in Coventry during the blitz), but it's in the regulations.
And of course lumps them in with Home Guard in Walmington on Sea, if serving three years.
Old 11-02-21, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder1916 View Post
Looking through the generals in the 1945 Army List for an honours profile that fits the above I found one in the section for Indian Army Lt Gens

General Sir Rob McGregor MacDonald Lockhart KCB CIE MC

The "general" comes from later when appointed as the first Commander in Chief of the Indian Army following partition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Lockhart

https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/s...onald-Lockhart

There is "some" resemblance so is a possibility.
It is indeed Gen Sir Rob Lockhart. A similar signed portrait sold on ebay in 2018 (see attached).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lockhart.jpg (8.2 KB, 37 views)

Tags
generals