British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-11-09, 05:17 PM
Banned

Default CDN Airborne Wings From What Year?

Hello to all! Mr Bill made a Comment the other day that made me think

In the Museum of my Regiment they have a WW II Battle dress Jacket on the Jacket the wings Match perfectly the ones in the first picture.
The Parachute is white but the Wings are a Light Beige! Will take a Picture of the Battle Jacket and post Later.

As per Mr Bill instruction I removed two threads and burned the Back Black Mesh, and it's 110% COTTON! Not Nylon since Nylon Melts when burned.

I also have, as seen on picture 3 the same wing but the bordering is different as you can see.

When I got the CDN wing on picture 3-4 I was told early 60s

Does anybody have CDN Wings from WW II ??

Thank you for your Time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture or Video 130.jpg (83.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Imported Photos 00009.jpg (97.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Picture or Video 128.jpg (85.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Picture or Video 129.jpg (86.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Picture or Video 131.jpg (84.4 KB, 51 views)
Old 06-11-09, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Recce, The wing in the first image with that type of backing is from the 60's. Nylon will burn, but gives off a sooty black smoke.
Old 06-11-09, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Recce, The wing in the first image with that type of backing is from the 60's. Nylon will burn, but gives off a sooty black smoke.
Mr Bill the Back of Mine are not Nylon nor did the thread burn like Nylon. I tried twice just to make sure. No Sooty black smoke.
Or the melting with that gum like residue that Nylon develops while being Burned.

I even took Nylon Thread and cotton thread last night and burned it and it burns very differently and noticeable,
You can't mistake it. Mine burned excatly like the Cotton thread.

The back mesh of this wings are Black Cotton. I bought them as early 60s.

It would be nice to see WW II wings and match them.
Old 06-11-09, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for your posting Recce. The composition of your wings has me a bit puzzled. They are made in the 1960's with that loose mesh backing. It may be that there were two types of backing used, a cotton and then replaced with the nylon / synthetic mesh.
There is not just one type of WW2 wings, but several. Ken Joyce's Into the Maelstrom has a detailed explanation and illustrations of at least 7 different types of wings issued during WW2. At least three of the WW2 issue could be post war when viewed. Dating these wings is a very difficult if not nearly impossible task.
Old 06-11-09, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Thanks for your posting Recce. The composition of your wings has me a bit puzzled. They are made in the 1960's with that loose mesh backing. It may be that there were two types of backing used, a cotton and then replaced with the nylon / synthetic mesh.
There is not just one type of WW2 wings, but several. Ken Joyce's Into the Maelstrom has a detailed explanation and illustrations of at least 7 different types of wings issued during WW2. At least three of the WW2 issue could be post war when viewed. Dating these wings is a very difficult if not nearly impossible task.
Mr Bill it was only after in the other thread that you mentioned the Black Cotton backing that you made me think. Now I`m

I thought also my wings had the nylon / synthetic mesh. But when I took two threads from the Back and burned them! Did not burn Like Nylon at all. And I even took Cotton and Nylon and tried few Times.

My back Mesh did NOT burned like Nylon! Plus I alter allot of my Military equipment with Nylon thread and I always burn the Ends which glues the end Stitch.

I thought there were 3 for WW II ! See learn something new every time.

I will take a picture from the Museum of the WW II Jacket and my and the wings of that Jacket are Identical in shape style and size.

As always Mr Bill Thank you for your Valuable Impute, Much appreciated Sir!
Old 09-11-09, 01:52 AM

Those wings are definitely 1960's vintage. The indicators are the thin top feathers that sharply point upwards, the scalloped backing material and the maple leaf.
Old 21-11-09, 06:20 PM

Picked up this jump smock yesterday with other pre-unification uniforms from the original owner therefore nothing has been "messed with". I have never seen the background to the para wings fade like this to a pale blue colour. Just wear and tear or a variety?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2002.jpg (96.4 KB, 57 views)
Old 21-11-09, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Gary, I think that these are particularly susceptible to the dry cleaning chemicals. That may explain the significant fading, while the garment remains untainted.
Old 21-11-09, 07:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Hussar View Post
Picked up this jump smock yesterday with other pre-unification uniforms from the original owner therefore nothing has been "messed with". I have never seen the background to the para wings fade like this to a pale blue colour. Just wear and tear or a variety?
I`ve seen this before the Jump-smock and the wings are Canadian, Look at your Pocket attachments snaps, same Like My 2 Jump-Smocks, but not same style.

I believe this is late 60s. But others on BCWBFs will inform you more precise!

You should do a thread on the Jacket and wings

See pictures I attached late 50s early 60s Battle Dress
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture or Video 150.jpg (62.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Picture or Video 151.jpg (29.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 21-11-09, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infanteer View Post
Those wings are definitely 1960's vintage. The indicators are the thin top feathers that sharply point upwards, the scalloped backing material and the maple leaf.
I'm with you on that one, My Wings are definitely 60s Vintage CDN Wings
Old 22-11-09, 02:05 PM

Thanks Bill. He had said that a while back that he had all of the uniforms dry cleaned so that is probably what had happened. There were no wings on the battle dress or TWs so I had nothing to compare to. He got the smock during the change over from battle dress to CF green.

Recce, you will be happy to know that the guy was ex Black Watch so I got a lesson on how to bloom the hackle as one of the balmorals didn't have and there was a loose hackle in the lot. He said that it was a good one (he was in the regular army in the 60's) and would bloom nice, not like the modern ones. He also said that the kilt was much heavier weight than what is currently used.

Moderators, sorry for hijacking this thread and leaning it towards the infantry topic.
Old 22-11-09, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I've seen this style of wing discussed on other forums before and there are definitely wings made with the blue backing material and apparently they are legitimate but I just don't recall the exact details. I'll try doing a search on the net and see what I can find.
Old 22-11-09, 06:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks Bill. He had said that a while back that he had all of the uniforms dry cleaned so that is probably what had happened. There were no wings on the battle dress or TWs so I had nothing to compare to. He got the smock during the change over from battle dress to CF green.

Recce, you will be happy to know that the guy was ex Black Watch so I got a lesson on how to bloom the hackle as one of the balmorals didn't have and there was a loose hackle in the lot. He said that it was a good one (he was in the regular army in the 60's) and would bloom nice, not like the modern ones. He also said that the kilt was much heavier weight than what is currently used.

Moderators, sorry for hijacking this thread and leaning it towards the infantry topic.
You Hijacked noting all Impute is great and appreciated. can we see a picture of the complete Smock!

First the Hackles many are using are Imperial Black Watch Blasphemy and Sacrilege.

Do you know why we Bloom our Hackles???? X regular Force Black Watch I meet a few on Remembrance day Great Bunch of Guys Yes their Very Regimental when it comes the The Canadian Black Watch Traditions.

Remember you can use a Fork to put it over the Kettle about 8" space, Don't ever allow to get the Hackle wet and slowly start parting the top in half It takes about a good month and several Times, many.

On the thread the Origins of the Red Hackle you'll see how I keep Mine. I start with a big Cognac Glass and work down to a small one gives them a great form. Any problems blooming it ask I'll be happy to help.
Old 22-11-09, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infanteer View Post
I've seen this style of wing discussed on other forums before and there are definitely wings made with the blue backing material and apparently they are legitimate but I just don't recall the exact details. I'll try doing a search on the net and see what I can find.

Look at this, like a blue backing looks same Colour like on his Smock

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/pp-...hp?product=514
Old 09-12-09, 02:14 PM

Default Canadian Wings From the 1980s

Here are some examples of some of the wings in my collection.