British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-08-10, 03:57 PM
Banned

Ok I'll throw my nickel in You can only wear foring qulification wings if you passed the jump course for the country in question as example Fort Bragg you participate in a refresher course, to learn US Jump procedures, I have the Text Books. If I remember It's Two jumps with the US and then you get a US certificate as your wings worn on the right side over your name on your Jump-Smock. And thats correct those smocks faded out with the Introduction of CADPAT, whoever some that did serve with The Vandoo's First Or PPCLI Second still use them, but It's by the Big Wigs.

Now I have Two Smocks with to different makers and my Wings are Completely Subdued Green as my OSONS Patch.
Old 17-08-10, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recce View Post
.... You can only wear foring qulification wings if you passed the jump course for the country in question as example Fort Bragg you participate in a refresher course, to learn US Jump procedures, ...
I think that the control is tighter than that. In the early '70s a CHofO officer, already jump qualifed in Canada, visited the UK. While there he dropped in on an acquaintance who worked at the Brit para school. By the end of the day he had his 2 jumps from a balloon and was presented with Brit wings. He 'passed the jump course for the country in question' but was not there officially representing the CF. After his return he put up his wings on his CF and shortly afterwards orders were issued stating that foreign badges earned without CF sanction could not be worn. Since then I believe he applied for permission under the 'equivalency' rules and he now wears them on his DEUs. He also told me a couple of years ago that he was up to 9 different (foreign) para qualifications. Needless to say he cannot wear them all.
Clive
Old 19-08-10, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
I think that the control is tighter than that. In the early '70s a CHofO officer, already jump qualifed in Canada, visited the UK. While there he dropped in on an acquaintance who worked at the Brit para school. By the end of the day he had his 2 jumps from a balloon and was presented with Brit wings. He 'passed the jump course for the country in question' but was not there officially representing the CF. After his return he put up his wings on his CF and shortly afterwards orders were issued stating that foreign badges earned without CF sanction could not be worn. Since then I believe he applied for permission under the 'equivalency' rules and he now wears them on his DEUs. He also told me a couple of years ago that he was up to 9 different (foreign) para qualifications. Needless to say he cannot wear them all.
Clive
Ok I think you misunderstood what I was stating, You must be sent on "Call-Out" by the CF. You look at the board US
Para Qualification coarse then you apply the CF. picks your name and then your sent two Fort Bragg.

You must be officially sent by the CF.

Look at the picture I posted, Let me know that you saw It so I can remove.

Last edited by Recce; 20-08-10 at 02:51 PM.
Old 19-08-10, 11:06 PM

Thanks Recce.
Old 30-08-10, 09:03 PM

As a Brit who qualified for Canadian 'Red Leaf' wings in 2004, I was told at CPC that Canadians could wear up to two different jump wings on the old Canadian DPM para smock. The US wings, if earned, had to be worn over the left breast pocket to honour the FSSF heritage. The US Ranger tab, if earned, could be worn at the top of the left sleeve and I have been told that the same rule applies to the US 'Special Forces' tab.Other jump wings, such as Brit or German, could then be worn at the top of the right sleeve of the para smock. Nothing is worn on the current CADPAT jackets. One set of foreign wings can be worn over the right breast of the DEU.

In the UK one set of foreign wings can be worn over the right breast pocket of the DPM para smock only, not on No2 Dress or Mess Dress. Colonels may get away with bending rules but us lesser mortals cannot! It could get expensive when you have to get another smock every time you get foreign wings, so most people only wear the prestige wings - US, French, German or Canadian.
Old 31-08-10, 12:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
#20 Today, 03:03 PM Colin S: I was told at CPC that Canadians could wear up to two different jump wings on the old
Canadian DPM para smock. The US wings, if earned, had to be worn over the left breast pocket to honour the FSSF heritage.
I was there in the 1980 with 2CDO Recce Platoon only Canadian White Maple Leaf wings are worn on the left side that I saw.
Only one set worn on the right pocket of the Jump-Smock and it was US Only, never saw any other country worn. Nor did
I ever see Two different countries and the Canadian wings.

I've told and showed Many X CF. Airborne or Present about CF. Airborne Wings that they still have no clue about Lol

Can you fined me from 1976-79 the Para Smock Wings the British Paratroopers where Issued after they qualified
in Canada if you have a set I'll buy them, need to add my collection of many

If you know send me a PM. Thank you for your time
Old 31-08-10, 07:37 AM

Recce

My mistake - as you point out, it is the Canadian wings which are always worn on the left breast. I meant to say that US wings were always worn over the right breast. I have a Canadian DPM jump smock from 2CER which has US wings over the right pocket and German wings on the right shoulder and, of course, Canadian White Leaf wings over the left pocket.

British troops are issued Canadian wings if they qualify. I got the Red Leaf dress wings for wear on the DEU but a friend provided me with an old Canadian issue Red Leaf on merrowed edge olive green rectangle version, as worn on the old Canadian para smock.

There is a Black Leaf version of that wing manufactured in England for those Brits who are qualified. It is not an issue item and I have never seen it worn. Everybody manages to find the correct Red Leaf version (or White Leaf if they have served on an exchange tour with a Canadian unit).

I will look out for a Black Leaf version and PM you if I can get one.

Regards

Colin S
Old 31-08-10, 02:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin S View Post
Recce

My mistake - as you point out, it is the Canadian wings which are always worn on the left breast. I meant to say that US wings were always worn over the right breast. I have a Canadian DPM jump smock from 2CER which has US wings over the right pocket and German wings on the right shoulder and, of course, Canadian White Leaf wings over the left pocket.

British troops are issued Canadian wings if they qualify. I got the Red Leaf dress wings for wear on the DEU but a friend provided me with an old Canadian issue Red Leaf on merrowed edge olive green rectangle version, as worn on the old Canadian para smock.

There is a Black Leaf version of that wing manufactured in England for those Brits who are qualified. It is not an issue item and I have never seen it worn. Everybody manages to find the correct Red Leaf version (or White Leaf if they have served on an exchange tour with a Canadian unit).

I will look out for a Black Leaf version and PM you if I can get one.

Regards

Colin S
Hi Mr Colin Mistakes can happen no big deal to me the fact you acknowledged shows your humbleness as humility, good form.

Can you post a picture of your Canadian DPM jump smock from 2CER which has US wings over the right pocket and German
wings on the right shoulder, would be interested to see Indeed.

Like I stated I only saw one type of Foreign wings worn and that was US, whoever that was in 1980 and changes could of
been made. I'll look into it since the Airborne Kit Shop as the association Knows me.

Yes the black leaf I know and have a set++++

By the info I have once A British Par-Troop qualifies in Canada they are Issued two sets from the CF. with the certificate they receive,
whoever that was in my time Today since you participated I'll take your word on this as fact.

Now the ones I'm talking about are not Red, PM me will chat.

I'll post from My collection the ones you've Stated.

I have Two different types of the above whoever instead of been olive drab it's black

Last edited by Recce; 04-09-10 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-09-10, 02:41 AM

Last edited by jranrose; 30-09-14 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-09-10, 05:30 AM

Last edited by jranrose; 30-09-14 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-09-10, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jranrose View Post
Ooops missed a page!
Mr. Jranrose Outstanding 10 bonus points for you, I was look for this exact information. As a New Member
this is a Quality contribution on your part indeed. My first question would be were did you get the information,
not something that can be easily found. I was going to contact Madame Marlene at the Airborne Kite Shop since
we exchange @ at times.

I can barely read it, my eyes are a little cluttered at the moment, If I PM you my @ address can you send what you
have posted or more Info from that book?

Thank you for your contribution It's appreciated
Old 01-09-10, 02:55 PM

Last edited by jranrose; 30-09-14 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-09-10, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jranrose View Post
No Problem! The document is about 144 pages long. Too big to e-mail. But I can send what you want.
J
Yes the manual has Mucho pages, I figured you had it on PDF, the pages that you posted are the regulations on how
patches are worn, as any foreign patches and there proper designation on the Jump-Smock & Dress, how many wings
and insignias are you allowed to wear,whoever if your willing to barter,
I have the Hand To hand Combat CF. Airborne Regiment manual on PDF+++++++ect.
I'll send it Free of charge

Send me your @ on PM. Have you been a member or CF present or past?
Old 05-09-10, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregN View Post
Hi all, a few weeks ago I visited the Chilliwack Millitary Museum on the old CFB Chilliwack. The local Canadian Airborne Regiment Association has a intersting display that documents the regiments' service post WW2 until Somalia. What caught my attention was a mannequin with a West German Senior jump brevet on the shoulder. Another mannequin had US Master Jump Wings on above the name tag. My questions are: What were the regs regarding foreign jump wings and what countries were approved?

The museum is very strong on tracks and vehicles, less so on uniforms and insignia but still worth a visit.

Cheers,

Greg
The Patches According to The Airborne Regiment G.S.O from 1976 all your patches are in there Proper location.
The US is the only Patch that goes over the center of name Tape whoever must have a space of a 1/2".

On the right sleeve; In addition only one Foreign wing can be worn and centered 1" below the shoulder seem or 1/2" from
the Pathfinders Patch, US S.F.W. as Ranger ect. Only basic qualification Cloth patches must be worn on
the Jump-Smock.

The OSONS Patch as all patches except the US S.F.W Q.P. must have a 1/2" Space between each patch.

I was going to Send a PDF whoever you don't except PM.

Last edited by Recce; 05-09-10 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-09-10, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
I know this is a Canadian thread, however as it's within the scope of the original. I earned, and yes it was hard earned, not a jolly 'Hollywood' one jump affair. 4 foreign wings including my Canadian ones and my blood wings. We could only wear them on the smock, and then only one at a time.
All rhetoric aside, temporally is more like it what year did you earn your CDN Jump Wing's?
Do you have pictures of the Smock and the CDN wings, I'm looking for 74-80 cloth jump-smock
wings issued by CF. to British Para in Canada.