British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-02-14, 06:35 PM

Default 1918-1925 RAF Badge Is it good ?

I have added some attachment pictures for reference I think the slider may be replacement although I know nothing about this badge . It is very hard to research on the internet little to know info available the only info I can find is on the RAF site it says under the title The Royal Air Force Badge / history . At an Air Council meeting on 1 August 1918, a badge for adoption by the Royal Air Force was approved. The badge adopted was similar in design to the one used today with the exception that the circlet surrounding the eagle comprised a garter and a buckle. The badge was not submitted at any time to the King or to the College of Arms for approval. This is about as much info as I can find out about it . any help would be great
cheers tanman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raf.jpg (46.1 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg raf1.jpg (37.4 KB, 69 views)
Old 03-02-14, 08:47 PM

It is my understanding the the 1918 RAF Cap Badge simply replaced RFC with RAF in the centre, and this continued to 1952 with the replacement of the crown?

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 03-02-14, 09:11 PM

It's the first ROYAL AIR FORCE badge 1918 with garter and corrected in 1922? with plain circle, worn on busby i think, someone else may know if it's a good one.
Andy
Old 03-02-14, 09:12 PM

..its from the full dress busby .
Old 03-02-14, 09:29 PM

Dear Tanman
Many years ago when I was collecting and researching the RAF insignia, I had a friend who served for many years in the RAF in India. The badge in question is a locally cast badge and was worn by Indian servants in their head dress.
Hope this may be of some help. Harry
Old 04-02-14, 04:10 AM

thanks for the info guy's much appreciated . I find that very interesting harry a dealer friend of mine said he did not no much about it but it was made by a sand cast in the middle east and or india .I was wondering if there is any references anywhere to this badge? They seem pretty hard to come by . Are they rare? Thanks again everyone for the great hand .
regards tanman
Old 04-02-14, 07:58 AM

I have a cast one of these too with a pin to the rear, I had not heard that they were for servants but it sounds right to me.
Old 04-02-14, 09:02 AM

thanks guys for the info I'd love to do some more research anyone know where to start ?
Old 04-02-14, 09:56 AM

LOL, are you being serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrestingu View Post
..its from the full dress busby .
Old 04-02-14, 10:04 AM

if its cast then that sounds about right..sadly cant see if it is or isn't. If die struck its a busby badge ,if cast then agree india or NWF and would be used for some other purpose as stated.
Old 04-02-14, 10:21 AM

Really? have you ever actually seen a pre 1939 officer's busby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrestingu View Post
if its cast then that sounds about right..sadly cant see if it is or isn't. If die struck its a busby badge ,if cast then agree india or NWF and would be used for some other purpose as stated.
Old 04-02-14, 12:47 PM

It's not the badge from the Officers' Full Dress busy, which is well documented as being of a two piece construction.

See http://www.britairforce.com/imagepag..._fulldress.htm

Harry, that's a most interesting reference to it being worn by Indian servants, quite fascinating.
Old 04-02-14, 02:20 PM

Quite right, the officers busby badge is a completely differant badge to the badge shown in the original post on here, differant in every way, I've even had an example that had the silvered eagle mounted on a ususally fine, almost murcurial, fire gilt circlet, they are both distinctive and really beautiful.
I am a little surprised that anyone could confuse them with the badge shown in the original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insignia View Post
It's not the badge from the Officers' Full Dress busy, which is well documented as being of a two piece construction.

See http://www.britairforce.com/imagepag..._fulldress.htm

Harry, that's a most interesting reference to it being worn by Indian servants, quite fascinating.
Old 04-02-14, 05:05 PM
Banned

The Full Dress Busby Badge was never die struck. The main part was usually cast in brass, and I have seen examples in brass, gilt and frosted gilt (depending on maker). I have seen Gaunt marked although most are not marked. The eagle is solid silver and usually attached by two fine wires.

The Indian connection for this is interesting...
Old 05-02-14, 12:48 AM

Did you buy it (Tanman)?

I saw the listing on eBay, but after discussing with a UK collector friend decided to pass on it.

I am fortunate to own a busby badge, and to have seen a real busby complete with tin.

In fact owner told me how he bought his in Melbourne (Aust) post WWII from what we used to call a disposal store, and at the time he purchased it there were 6 others on the shelf awaiting sale! Like the RAF the RAAF dispensed with this headwear in the same time period.

john