British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-01-19, 06:02 PM

Default Director of Borneo Operations wall plaque

Good evening

This Director of Borneo Operations wall plaque has just arrived, as can be seen it is 'some assembly required' .

Can anyone suggest a suitable adhesive to repair it?

Thanks for looking

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14Jan2019 001b.jpg (49.0 KB, 51 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 14-01-19, 06:07 PM

I had to do a similar job on a plaque a while ago, brass shield and scrolls stuck into the plastic fittings - thin smears of what I had to hand - Gorilla Glue - has worked for the past year or two.
Old 14-01-19, 06:09 PM

Thank you Leigh, much appreciated.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 14-01-19, 07:16 PM

Graham,

I would agree with using Gorilla glue. However, Guerilla glue might be more appropriate.

"There are no Gorillas in this Jungle".

Tim
Old 14-01-19, 07:28 PM

Thank you Tim, again greatly appreciated.

Graham
Old 15-01-19, 04:43 AM

When assembled it will be an attractive item - the bird (in case anyone is wondering) is a Borneo Sea Eagle. I saw some fishing in Kuching harbour while sailing back to Singapore on end of tour. Mike
Old 15-01-19, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
When assembled it will be an attractive item - the bird (in case anyone is wondering) is a Borneo Sea Eagle. I saw some fishing in Kuching harbour while sailing back to Singapore on end of tour. Mike
Cool, thank you Mike. A couple of friends run a cafe around from my work, he is a retired RM PTI and has a corner with some militaria on show - his medals, FS, plaques etc., so as the Marines were heavily involved in the Confrontation I thought this would make an appropriate addition.

All the best

Graham
Old 15-01-19, 10:41 AM

The style of manufacture of the plaque, the etched and painted brass sheet on a plastic (or similar) backing - I first noticed in 1979, prior to that I'd only ever seen the painted cast plaster or similar.
Old 17-01-19, 02:47 PM

Thank you for the tips and comments chaps, here is the repaired plaque. It isn’t a difficult task but fiddly, as you need to ensure all the old adhesive is removed. I took the opportunity to repair a 248 GSU plaque that’s been kicking around - prepared - for ages. Now awaiting a broken RUC plaque.

Hopefully the new recipient will be pleased when I let him have it tomorrow.

Thanks again

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17Jan2019 003b.jpg (57.2 KB, 11 views)