British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-04-19, 04:00 PM

Default Navigator Brevets

Hello all, I’ve just received a couple of padded RAF navigator brevets and would like some expert advice on their age and origin, please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 2BFED512-36A3-4201-B04A-5E06FA72E803.jpg (82.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 27-04-19, 02:48 PM

I take it neither are of any age then...
Old 28-04-19, 04:15 PM

It is difficult to put an age on these badges as they have stayed more or less the same since inception. Of the two the paper backed version is the elder of them and my guess would be the 1950s or 1960s the other could have been made yesterday.
Dave
Old 29-04-19, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon166 View Post
It is difficult to put an age on these badges as they have stayed more or less the same since inception. Of the two the paper backed version is the elder of them and my guess would be the 1950s or 1960s the other could have been made yesterday.
Dave
Many thanks, Dave. Interested to read that the paper-backed brevet is possibly the older of the two.
Old 29-09-19, 09:58 PM

They are not ‘Brevets’ by the way. The correct term is a ‘Flying Badge’ as described in King’s and Queen’s Regulations over the years. The term ‘Brevet’ was actually the French word for a certificate or diploma and was taken from the FAI certificates originally given to Pilots prior and during the first world war. Getting your brevet literally meant getting your certificate and not your Flying Badge.

Best, Gaz