British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-04-19, 03:26 PM

So rather than being a collector, you are a researcher?

Buying, researching and then selling on, that isn't collecting. Not in my opinion anyway.

Buying, researching and then presenting items or storing them in a fitting manner. Thats collecting. Safeguarding of a small piece of history.

To have bought items including 'holy grails', done a little bit of research and then sold them on a bit further down the road......what has been collected? In these cases, I do not believe that there was ever an intent to collect. Funding the next fad is the name of the game there.

This thread title is inaccurate at best, given that collecting and what is truly collecting is a personal thing. Whether its eclectic, area specific or even to an extent hoarded. Whether that's for investment (to fund retirement) or to be buried with you, or handed on to the next generation, makes no odds. There is a collection physically there, with a true intent to grow it.

Does any collector, really, truly, want to sell any part of their collection? Trading or selling spare (duplicate items) to acquire the next sought after item, maybe. I'm sure no true collector wants to sell their 'holy grails'.

There is always the thrill of the hunt, the thrill of the find and then of course the thrill of owning something and treasuring it.
Old 11-04-19, 03:30 PM

Thanks for that Phil,

All really good points and food for thought.

Cheers,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 11-04-19, 05:42 PM

My collection started in about 1959 so I have been a collector for 60 years! I have only once sold items from my collection and have regretted it ever since. This was back in the early 1990s when I needed to fund a daughter at university. I parted with my 500 plus cloth shoulder title collection including many printed and scarce titles. I sold them as one lot to another collector who resold most to a dealer. I probably received a little more than I paid for them but not enough to repay the time and effort taken to assemble the collection. I have since tried to rebuild it but have been unable to replace many of the scarcer items.

Without doubt I enjoy the 'thrill of the chase' at militaria fairs and on-line. Other than through eBay I have never bought at auction.

My collection covers most items of British Army insignia from 1908 to date and includes Cap badges, Collar badges, Shoulder Titles, Rank Badges, Trade and Qualification Badges, Formation Badges, Lanyards and Buttons. From the mid 1990s I have concentrated on collecting "current" items as can be seen in my 57 Albums on the Forum which show about 7,000 items but so far I have not shown everything in the collection. I also have a reasonable selection of Royal Marines items

I have been a Forum member for nearly 10 years and thoroughly enjoy the identification mysteries and enquiries. I try to provide relevant and accurate information with references and photo evidence where available.

I believe that I am a true collector.

Tim
Old 11-04-19, 06:54 PM

My mother worked in Easons Bookshop in Belfast's Central Railway station, and whenever a soldier came in she would ask them about the cap badge they wore and if they had a spare one for her wee boy (he's mad about the Army) needless to say I amassed quite a collection of staybright's, but to me they are priceless and I would never ever think of selling any of them. I'm definitely a collector.
Old 12-04-19, 09:36 AM

I think that there is a fine line between collecting and obsessive hoarding that I struggle with. I have specific collecting interests that I try to adhere to but, as I get offered "job lots" of militaria by several house clearance people, I find it hard to stick to them, particularly if there are items that are scarce or unusual. Consequently, I have quite a few collecting themes, some of which are growing at a very slow rate, others much faster. I also find that acquiring an item outside my usual interest tends to provoke research, background reading and a strong desire not to part with the item.

The downside of buying "job lots" from house clearances is that you cannot be too picky in refusing items that are offered as there is a queue of people behind you who will gladly change places. So, while I get a few items that are not so desirable and which I will sell on, I get a few outstanding items that I could not afford if they were on dealer's lists.

I am most interested in the story that an item tells and have become quite obsessive about keeping other related items such as, letters, paperwork and photographs together.

I think that I am a true collector but my Mrs thinks that I am a hoarder.
Old 23-08-20, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
I think that there is a fine line between collecting and obsessive hoarding that I struggle with. I have specific collecting interests that I try to adhere to but, as I get offered "job lots" of militaria by several house clearance people, I find it hard to stick to them, particularly if there are items that are scarce or unusual. Consequently, I have quite a few collecting themes, some of which are growing at a very slow rate, others much faster. I also find that acquiring an item outside my usual interest tends to provoke research, background reading and a strong desire not to part with the item.

The downside of buying "job lots" from house clearances is that you cannot be too picky in refusing items that are offered as there is a queue of people behind you who will gladly change places. So, while I get a few items that are not so desirable and which I will sell on, I get a few outstanding items that I could not afford if they were on dealer's lists.

I am most interested in the story that an item tells and have become quite obsessive about keeping other related items such as, letters, paperwork and photographs together.

I think that I am a true collector but my Mrs thinks that I am a hoarder.
Came to this thread late. Can associate with all that has been said.

Simon - especially your closing line.

Chris
Old 23-08-20, 01:22 PM

As have I Chris and enjoyed reading it, I find it difficult to resesrch as not Internet Savvy so unless its in books I'm fine!, and I fumble through! the Internet I try and wikipedia I take with a pinch of salt but find the Forum great for learning about the items one collects through members threads and help given to identify an item, deffinately a collector but wish wife wouldcstop saying Horder!
Old 23-08-20, 03:42 PM

A very interesting thread, and superb topic. I only started collecting in the early 90's when I was on my way to get a haircut. Saw a sign that said military show, and being a military buff, primarily uniforms, I went to get my haircut and stopped by the show afterwards (today, the haircut would come another day!!!). My first purchase was a fake WWI German pilots badge, and a bad fake too. The dealer selling it really stuck it to me. I still have that badge and will keep it for being my first purchase.

I do love the hunt, and the happy feeling I get when I am able to add a desired piece to my collection. I do as much research as I can, so that I can understand what and why I want/get something. I also really enjoy setting up nice displays. My collection is not big since retirement, but I still get great pleasure from it, and am able to tell something about each item. I am also pretty realistic about approaching the hobby, in that I want everything in my area of collecting, but truly know there will be items I just will not be able to obtain, and that's fine. I still want to know about them, and who knows maybe a sleeper will turn up!!!

If I have come to a point where I no longer have the interest or enjoyment of an item, I am happy to pass it on. I've sold some bits, but always at a loss, and I often give them away to someone I think will enjoy having it more than me. I recently sold several of the fake badges (fully identified as being fake) I had on eBay, and with each I added another fake.

For years I collected WW2 airborne and had a nice, respectable collection. I soon came to realize that other airborne collectors and even friends were doing all sorts of underhanded acts to beat me or another collector out of getting an item. I sold and traded of that collection and stopped collecting for several years it left such a bad taste. It's a hobby not worth such distasteful actions.

I love this forum, and the members, to a person, have been extremely helpful, kind and sharing. I have bought items from several and always felt a true understanding and compassion toward helping a fellow collector. Having to decide between expensive books and obtaining badges now that I am retired makes me appreciate this forum even more.

Sorry to be so long winded

Terry
Old 07-09-20, 05:24 PM

Default Collectors .

Hello . Maybe a bit off topic here . One could ask how many collectors are
military historians ?
When a new acquisition for the collection is made does the individual
have knowledge regarding the history of that regiment/unit , do they
conduct research or is the piece simply put on display .
I agree , so many times one hears the price paid for a new piece
from a collector or how much they sold it for but nothing of the
historical aspect .
Just a thought .
Cheers .
Robert.