British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Formation and Tasking Signs

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-08-09, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Default Afghanistan Patching Continued

Commemorative patches have been made and worn in Afghanistan for a couple of rotos. These are unofficial, and obviously very personal.
http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca...catalog=photos
Old 03-08-09, 03:54 PM

It looks like the old combat uniform.............any date of the pic Bill.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 03-08-09, 04:10 PM

Thats what I was just thinking JO, the jacket appears to be one of the green ones. The current ones do not shoulder epaulets on them. However it does appear to me to be a AT CADPAT tab on the epaulet, with what appears to be a Captains rank? . To me it also appears to be the R22eR flag.

All this considered, I suspected this photo to have been taken in Kabul in 2004, possibly at a Ramp. Now I'm not too sure.

Please Bill any further information on this photo.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca

Last edited by Pylon1357; 03-08-09 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-08-09, 04:46 PM

Hi Clifford, you are right about the cadpat slip-on. As for the "Jo" and "Pat" appearing on the patch could it be referring to Corporal Martin Joannette and Master Corporal Patrice Audet killed in the crash on 6 July ???

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 03-08-09, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting that the information is not linked. Here is the caption for the image.
The English caption is below the francais.

Français/French
AR2009-B069-02
Le 6 juillet 2009
KANDAHAR, AFGHANISTAN

Cérémonie de la rampe pour le Caporal-chef Patrice Audet et le Caporal Martin Joannette.

Deux membres de l’équipage aérien et un soldat de la FIAS ont été tués lorsqu’un hélicoptère canadien CH-146 Griffon s’est écrasé au décollage. L’incident s’est produit à la Base d’opérations avancées de Tarnak Va Jaldak, province de Zabul au nord-est de la ville de Kandahar vers 13 h 50, heure de Kandahar, le 6 juillet 2009.

Le Caporal-chef Patrice Audet, appartenant au 430e Escadron tactique d'hélicoptères de la Base des Forces canadiennes de Valcartier, et le Caporal Martin Joannette du 3e Bataillon, Royal 22e Régiment, aussi de la Base des Forces canadiennes de Valcartier, près de Québec, ont tous deux été tués au combat.

Trois autres membres des Forces canadiennes ont été blessés mais ont pu s’éloigner du site d’écrasement par leurs propres moyens. Ils ont été évacués par hélicoptère vers l’installation médicale multi-nationale de rôle 3 à l’aérodrome de Kandahar. Deux d’entre eux sont retournés au travail et le troisième est dans un état stationnaire.

Les membres de la Force opérationnelle à Kandahar sont engagés à améliorer la sécurité et à aider au développement dans la province de Kandahar. Malgré cet accident, ils sont déterminés à continuer à travailler avec leurs alliés, les Afghans et leurs partenaires internationaux pour fournir un avenir meilleur au peuple d’Afghanistan.

La Force opérationnelle interarmées – Afghanistan (FOI-Afg) est la contribution du Canada à l’effort international en Afghanistan. Ses opérations consistent à travailler avec les autorités Afghanes pour augmenter la sécurité, la gouvernance et le développement économique en Afghanistan. La FOI-Afg comprend plus de 2 750 membres des Forces canadiennes. La plupart d’entre-eux servent à l’aérodrome de Kandahar ou au camp Nathan Smith, le berceau de l’Équipe provinciale de reconstruction (EPR) dans la ville de Kandahar. Les membres des Forces canadiennes travaillent aussi à différents postes de commandement militaire, supportent des bases au sud ouest de l’Asie et travaillent en collaboration avec des organisations civiles en Afghanistan.

Photo : Caporal Jonathan Barrette, TechImage, FOI–Afg, Roto 7

English/Anglais
AR2009-B069-02
July 6, 2009
KANDAHAR, AFGHANISTAN

Ramp ceremony for Master Corporal Patrice Audet and Corporal Martin Joannette.

Two members of the aircrew and an ISAF soldier were killed when a Canadian CH-146 Griffon helicopter crashed on takeoff. The incident happened at Forward Operating Base (FOB) Tarnak Va Jaldak in Zabul Province, northeast of Kandahar City at approximately 13:50 hours, Kandahar time, July 6, 2009.

Killed in action were Master Corporal Patrice Audet of 430 Tactical Helicopter Squadron and Corporal Martin Joannette, a member of 3rd Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment. Both units are from Canadian Forces Base Valcartier, near Québec City, Quebec.

Three other Canadian Forces members were injured but were able to leave the crash site by their own means. They were medically evacuated by helicopter to the Role 3 Multinational Medical Unit (R3 MMU) at Kandahar Airfield. Two of the members were returned to duty while the third is in stable condition.

The members of Task Force Kandahar are committed toward enhancing security and helping in the development of the Province of Kandahar. In spite of this accident, they are more determined than ever to continue working with their allies, the Afghanis and their international partners, offering a better future to the people of Aghanistan.

Joint Task Force Afghanistan (JTF-Afg) is Canada’s military contribution to Afghanistan. Canadian operations focus on working with Afghan authorities to improve security, governance, and economic development in the country. The Canadian Forces (CF) contribution in Afghanistan comprises over 2,750 soldiers, with the majority serving with JTF-Afg at Kandahar Airfield and Camp Nathan Smith, home of Canada’s Provincial Reconstruction Team (PRT), in Kandahar City. Additional personnel are assigned to various military headquarters, support bases in South-West Asia, and work in close support to various civilian organisations in Afghanistan.

Photo credit: Corporal Jonathan Barrette, Image Tech, JTF-Afg, Roto7
Old 03-08-09, 05:46 PM

Thanks Bill. I based my post on the fact that these two were the only ones with a name close to the nicknames on the patch.I wonder why they would have Audet's name on the patch as he was Air Force and not R22R. Soldier's brotherhood, I guess.
Jo

Old 03-08-09, 10:22 PM

About the above mentioned post by Bill, this photograph could have been used also. It also shows the Guard of Honour (?) wearing the tan beret of the CANSOFCOM.
http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca...catalog=photos

Jo

Old 03-08-09, 11:15 PM

Looks like a flightsuit, not the old combats.

The officer in the foreground is likely a member of 427 Sqn, hence the tan beret.
Old 03-08-09, 11:20 PM

Did not know that.Thanks Adam. The link to 427 Sqn.
Jo
http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/1w-...eng.asp?id=378

Old 03-08-09, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

Doesn't the CSOR wear a tan beret?

Last edited by Bill A; 03-08-09 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-08-09, 02:51 AM

It's ealry in the morning here and I am running a little behind. My comments here may not be as clear as I hope but here it goes.

I attended the Ramp Ceremony here in KAF for the two lads killed in the helicopter crash. One was R22eR and the other I thought was 430 ETAH.

From my knowledge, the tan beret is worn by CSOR. Of which, there areAir Force members. The last photo linked here shows to me an Air Force badge on the Tan Beret, and the lad next to him wearing the blue Air Force Beret.

Also this photo clearly does show the flight suit. Great photo, brings back recent memories of a very tragic accident.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 04-08-09, 11:06 AM

My bad, although 427 is part of CANSOFCOM, the Air Force officer in the photo wearing a tan beret must be a CSOR member.
Old 04-08-09, 12:40 PM

From NDHQ, PR Dept (I guess....).
http://www.csor.forces.gc.ca/index-eng.asp

Jo

Last edited by Voltigeur; 04-08-09 at 12:50 PM.
Old 15-05-11, 01:05 AM

The tan beret is worn by personnel who are part of the Canadian Special Operation Forces Command of which CSOR is a part and so is 427 Sqn. The beret is not a CSOR specific item.

Also, I think you'll find the bond of French Canadian soldiers is stronger than that of other English speaking members of the CF, hence the wearing of memorial patches for an air force member by army personnel.
Old 13-10-11, 11:08 AM

Default Badges Seen in KAF

Perhaps Clive Law can explain the recent sighting of these patches in KAF.