British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-12-14, 03:41 PM

Default Unidentified Unit Sign

c 1942 - An unidentified sign painted on the front armour of a British Covenanter Tank. I tried this a year or so ago - can any sharp-eyed Member with imagination work out what this might be. The image is distorted by the camera angle against the slope of the armour - so it's probably a circular disc. But what is the design? Ideas please! Mike
Unident Fmn Sign on Covenanter.03.jpgUnident Fmn Sign on Covenanter.01.jpg
Old 23-12-14, 05:02 PM

If it's a Covenanter then it's a UK based formation. Covenanter was a useless piece of rubbish and even with the desperate need for tanks at that time the War Office wouldn't send them to the Western Desert Forces.
Old 23-12-14, 05:52 PM

Definitely a Covenanter. Census numbers allocated for those produced by LMS Railway works were T7095 - T7194. T7195 was the mild steel turret-less pilot model.
As said by Hussar100 the Covenanter was never used operationally although 1,771 were produced. It equipped UK-based armoured divisions for training until 1943.

Tim

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 23-12-14 at 08:36 PM.
Old 23-12-14, 08:08 PM

Not sure how accurate this is from the image, but it may help (someone).

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 15-02-22 at 09:18 PM.
Old 23-12-14, 08:39 PM

Some Covenanters were used by the Polish Armoured Division for training in the UK.
Could it be a Polish sign?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fMvc_TOstLE

Tim
Old 23-12-14, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Some Covenanters were used by the Polish Armoured Division for training in the UK.
Could it be a Polish sign?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fMvc_TOstLE

Tim
That's possible. The majority of them went to 1 Div after Dunkirk. A few went to Egypt on trials but were found wanting - desperately. AFAIK this piece of junk was declared obsolete in 1943, just 2 years after it was built. Compare that to the likes of Comet, Centurion (in particular), Chieftain or Challenger 1. Mind you the pedigree wasn't sound. It was a development of the A15 Crusader which was barely able to function within its remit.

That's not getting the OP an answer to his formation patch question. Anybody got any ideas? I reiterate my point that it must have been a UK based unit - post Dunkirk.
Old 23-12-14, 09:54 PM

Here's a mixture (MH 1135) of 1 Polish Armd Div Covenanters (four road wheels) and Crusaders (five road wheels). I cannot make out the marking on the lead Covenanter. Mike
1 Polish Armd Div tanks.01.jpg
Old 24-12-14, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
c 1942 - An unidentified sign painted on the front armour of a British Covenanter Tank. I tried this a year or so ago - can any sharp-eyed Member with imagination work out what this might be. The image is distorted by the camera angle against the slope of the armour - so it's probably a circular disc. But what is the design? Ideas please! Mike
Attachment 118472Attachment 118473
The marking looks suspiciously like a knuckle-duster (aka a brass knuckle). Don't know where that observation leads us, however!
Old 24-12-14, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettman View Post
The marking looks suspiciously like a knuckle-duster (aka a brass knuckle). Don't know where that observation leads us, however!
That was my first thought, but, then I thought I might be thinking too much into it. Maybe the Tanks were to 'Punch' the way forward.

Marc
Old 24-12-14, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Here's a mixture (MH 1135) of 1 Polish Armd Div Covenanters (four road wheels) and Crusaders (five road wheels). I cannot make out the marking on the lead Covenanter. Mike
Attachment 118502
These Poles were training in the UK alongside the UK's 1 Armd Div. The only Covenanters to leave the UK went out on trials to several locations, mostly Egypt. These trials were unsuccessful.

The availability of Covenanters also showed a huge flaw in UK war manufacturing policy in that large numbers of an untested and seriously flawed AFV were produced because certain protocols hadn't been adhered to, i.e. test prototypes produced and trialled before production started in earnest. This mistake wasn't repeated.

Some Covenanters were eventually used overseas but not as gun tanks; as mobile artillery OPs.
Old 24-12-14, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettman View Post
That's the best idea yet! If properly armoured tanks could be linked to an armoured fist (RAC badge and 6 Armd Div), so logically a badly armoured, useless tank would justify a knuckleduster? Mike
Old 24-12-14, 11:44 AM

Quote:
That's the best idea yet! If properly armoured tanks could be linked to an armoured fist (RAC badge and 6 Armd Div), so logically a badly armoured, useless tank would justify a knuckleduster? Mike
The formation sign wouldn't be dictated by the type of tank in service mate.
Old 24-12-14, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
The formation sign wouldn't be dictated by the type of tank in service mate.
I was thinking a unit sign, not a formation sign. However, take a look at the formation sign for the WW2 British 3rd Armoured Group. Mike
Old 24-12-14, 11:53 AM

Compliments of the season to everyone.

Threads like this one show what the Forum is ( in my opinion ) all about.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 24-12-14, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I was thinking a unit sign, not a formation sign. However, take a look at the formation sign for the WW2 British 3rd Armoured Group. Mike
A unit sign wouldn't be in that position though. Tac recognition ID and callsign boards would normally be on the turret, usually on the sides or side kit bins. Callsign boards were on the back although I believe they were a post war innovation and they've been taken a stage further now with the c/s plastered all over the vehicle.

I note the 3rd Armoured Group formation sign. Did you know that the War Office refused permission for it to be used when it was at the suggestion stage? IWM have the details here.

Units were usually identified by a number in WW2 in any case; I found a chart of them yesterday. Some units had other distinctions if you knew what to look for, like the RTR's "All seeing eye" or the use of town names from various regions of the UK for some units which would be on the tool bins just above the catwalks.

I've seen so many formation signs over the last 24 hours my head's bursting.