British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-11-14, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
In the changes of '68 the Cameronians opted to disband rather than amalgamate. I think they were the only ones to do so. I always thought it rather dignified although rather extreme to show your opposition to amalgamation. It's a shame more senior officers do not have the same moral courage.
Oh I think they do but they're so conditioned into "playing the game" that they follow the lead of the CGS.

When I was at Catterick btw the place was full of Scots who'd left the Greys in disgust at the amalgamation with the Caribineers. They'd joined just about every cav mob you could think of. Our drill pig was one of them; 16/5 he was. Said he didn't want to soldier with a load of Welsh barstewards.
Old 15-11-14, 06:01 PM

[QUOTENow many of us who were 17th/21stst feel much the same as the 16th/5th did back then,You would have thought 4 regiments would have had the bigger say.
Sad times I mean no disrespect to the 9th/12th we will all be brothers soon under the Royal Lancer Banner.
][/QUOTE]
REME attached, but 16/5th was my best posting in my career. 16/5th took over from 17/21st in Wolfenbuttel end of 1974. I was on the advance party, so met many 17/21st. The provost Sgt was one Oskar Harman, a real 17/21st character, and after bribing him with alcohol I managed to acquire a lance from his (the regiments) lance guard stock! I still have it and it adorns the stairwell of my house to this day. See pic. Great memories so I'd never part with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1859[1].jpg (66.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 15-11-14, 06:04 PM

Very handy for when you go pig sticking mate.
Old 15-11-14, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep View Post
[QUOTENow many of us who were 17th/21stst feel much the same as the 16th/5th did back then,You would have thought 4 regiments would have had the bigger say.
Sad times I mean no disrespect to the 9th/12th we will all be brothers soon under the Royal Lancer Banner.
]
REME attached, but 16/5th was my best posting in my career. 16/5th took over from 17/21st in Wolfenbuttel end of 1974. I was on the advance party, so met many 17/21st. The provost Sgt was one Oskar Harman, a real 17/21st character, and after bribing him with alcohol I managed to acquire a lance from his (the regiments) lance guard stock! I still have it and it adorns the stairwell of my house to this day. See pic. Great memories so I'd never part with it.[/QUOTE]

Leonard William "Oscar" Harman died about a year ago and Lt Gen Richard "Dickie" Swinburn KCB, as he is now, attended his funeral. That's how much a legend Oscar was. He knew every fiddle and scam ever perpetrated, even invented some, and was in and out of nick more times than I can count. Years later after I left I heard that he had been made Provost Sgt and thought "Somebody had a sense of humour." At least no-one could put one over on him, he knew it all.
Old 16-11-14, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Alexander View Post
REME attached, but 16/5th was my best posting in my career. 16/5th took over from 17/21st in Wolfenbuttel end of 1974. I was on the advance party, so met many 17/21st. The provost Sgt was one Oskar Harman, a real 17/21st character, and after bribing him with alcohol I managed to acquire a lance from his (the regiments) lance guard stock! I still have it and it adorns the stairwell of my house to this day. See pic. Great memories so I'd never part with it.
Leonard William "Oscar" Harman died about a year ago and Lt Gen Richard "Dickie" Swinburn KCB, as he is now, attended his funeral. That's how much a legend Oscar was. He knew every fiddle and scam ever perpetrated, even invented some, and was in and out of nick more times than I can count. Years later after I left I heard that he had been made Provost Sgt and thought "Somebody had a sense of humour." At least no-one could put one over on him, he knew it all.[/QUOTE]

Every outfit had one or two of those didn't they? Legends in their own lifetime. We lost one last year too, a massive character in every way. Bogey Stirling. RIP big man.
Old 16-11-14, 10:53 PM

Default 9th.

One of my still with us mates still has a 9th.Lancers Flag borrow from the Guard Room in Gaza when the 2nd.AB. broke up in September 47.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9th.QRl..jpg (54.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 18-11-14, 10:40 AM

Default jimbobqmi

I have just browsed the Queens Royal Lancers Regimental Association web site and it covers this question in some detail. It quotes dress regs. and gives some good info.
Old 18-11-14, 08:13 PM

Default jimbobqmi

Looked up the QRL Regimental Association web site dated 18 Nov. also Soldier
Magazine. Both are worth a look, the association confirms the type and make up of the new badges and shows details of the dress regs. which apply.
Apparently the date of amalgamation is now May 2015.

Cheers
Old 18-11-14, 09:26 PM

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...=royal+lancers