British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Formation and Tasking Signs

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 17-10-08, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Thomas, welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing images. If you accumulate any duplicates, I am interested.
Keep safe. Godspeed.
Old 20-07-13, 04:17 PM

Knock offs appearing on eBay.

This is incorrect as it should be coloured as per my post earlier in this thread.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 20-07-13, 05:16 PM

This may sound a bit stupid, but what precisely is the difference between the ISAF badges worn by the different national contingents? How do you assign them?

Thanks!
Old 20-07-13, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Difficult to say the precise differences. The ISAF patches were made in several locations including the country of origin for the deployment, in theatre, and some third party contracting.
Old 21-07-13, 08:17 PM

I didn’t realize ISAF patches were collectable!

Here’s a quick picture of two uniforms with ISAF badges for you guys.

Cheers

Last edited by cw2311; 24-07-13 at 11:49 AM.
Old 21-07-13, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

The round ones are common, with a huge number of variations. The rectangular ISAF badge is unusual and a new one to me.
Always interested in information on Afghan deployment badges.
Old 21-07-13, 11:44 PM

Default rectangle

I have seen the rectangle described as a US patch.
John
Old 22-07-13, 12:34 AM

BINGO John!!

Traded with an American troop.
Old 22-07-13, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

Question then, Why is it being worn on a Canadian jacket?
Old 22-07-13, 01:56 AM

Souvenir / swap from some American mountain troops along with many other badges.
Old 22-07-13, 03:08 PM

Default Canadian Afghan Insignia

Once again stories about how, when and where insignia was/is being worn is being spread by some collectors, mostly by civilians with no military experience at all, and who know or understand little as to how the CF wears and authorizes badges. These made-up theories or stories do not help the collecting cause and usually in the long-run provide more confusion then help.

Bill has been doing an exceptional job of sorting out the many nuances of badge procurement and wear and is one of the few people in the country who actually has a sound working knowledge of the rather confusing and convoluted system. He has achieved this understanding by scholarly research using government records and military regulations. Unfortunately others have not been as diligent and rely on theories from less credible sources.

The issue and wearing of Canadian insignia in Afghanistan has been discussed at length in this forum, which is probably a testament to the popularity of these badges within the collecting community. As some collectors know and by those of us who have served in Afghanistan, badges worn by the CAF were obtained from several sources. The badge shop at the Kandahar boardwalk was a very popular place to have insignia made and some of the distinctive unit insignia worn in theatre was manufactured at that location. Anyone could get a badge or badges made up at this shop, but authorization from your respective chain of command was required before any badge could be worn; so off-the-cuff comments about wearing traded/swapped badges on uniforms does not hold water.

CADPAT uniform items are very controlled items within the CAF and are returned to military stores when they is not longer required. Some CADPAT items have made their way into the civilian market. Both CADPAT AR uniforms and insignia from Afghanistan have become highly collectable items with reproduction insignia already showing up for sale. Therefore, it would not be very hard to slap together a set of badged up CADPAT to market within the collecting community and judging by how few collectors actually understand how insignia was issued and worn, it would not be difficult to sell uniforms as purported Afghan originals. In the case of the two CADPAT AR Jackets with insignia that have been posted on this forum, my original reaction based on their unconventional insignia, is that these items may not be genuine.

Whatever the case, the statement by CW2311 that the square ISAF badges were worn as they were “Souvenir / swap from some American mountain troops along with many other badges” is not correct.
Old 23-07-13, 02:15 AM

Eddy,

You can speculate all you like. This string of posts is about ISAF patches, it’s not about me and my service or you kissing Bill’s rear end.

During Roto 11, Regional Command South HQ that were attached to the U.S. 10th Mountain Division in KAF and wore some U.S. patches on Canadian uniforms. Below is one such example, and yes, surprisingly enough, troops did trade, buy and sell items.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10th MTN DIV.jpg (98.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by cw2311; 24-07-13 at 11:50 AM.
Old 23-07-13, 02:19 AM

The US has two different patters. I have the second but not the first one. It came from Ft. Campbell Kentucky.

I am not sure what is met by "not genuine"

John
Old 23-07-13, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Keep the focus on the insignia please.
I am trying to to document the Afghan deployment insignia which is a complicated and confusing task. Each Roto, especially after the move to Kandahar, added to the patching. Both official and unofficial. There are hundreds of Canadian worn patches, and yes Canadians did wear some US and some NATO insignia in an authorized capacity. And as always, insignia trading, collecting and souvenir hunting was part of the deployment. But that doesn't mean the patches were authorized or sanctioned. Official authorizations were not required for most of the badges worn in theatre. The rectangular ISAF patch, as US issue was not one that I have seen in any of the thousands of images on the DND web site or in other image resources.
(And, I don't have any livestock that needs loving. Thanks.)
Old 23-07-13, 04:28 PM

Default Afghan Patches

CW2311, my post was not to kiss Bill’s rear end but to point out that the information that you posted on the square US manufactured ISAF Afghan insignia and its use by Canadians was wrong and that Bill, who moderates this forum has studied this topic in some depth. You can attempt to hide behind your lack of knowledge in this field by using childish alliterations of poster’s first names and straying from the topic by posting other badges, in this case a 10th Mountain Division patch. But this highlights not only your level of immaturity but also your inability to conduct a discussion at an adult level.

Since you hide behind a pseudonym, I do not have the pleasure of knowing who you are or what your real name is. As you do know my name, I would ask that if the future you please show the respect due to any poster and refer to me by my correct name.

As has been stated already, evidence does not support that the square US manufactured ISAF patch was worn on the CADPAT uniform. You are certainly welcome to research this more and provide primary source evidence to the contrary. Yes, the 10th Mountain Division patch was worn by Canadians who were attached to that formation.
Closed Thread