British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-10-10, 11:01 PM

Default SAS Blazer Badge

Many apologies gentlemen.
I had to go away at short notice and removed the pictures so I could upload new ones but just ran out of time.
I have taken these two pictures of the badge and once again would appreciate any feedback from you knowledgable lads out there.
Cheers
D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAS Blazer 1.jpg (67.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg SAS Blazer 2 .jpg (45.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 02-10-10, 08:46 AM

hi d,

im no expert in this field but to me this may be either a overseas badge or a fantasy item.i have never seen a britsh sas badge blazer or any other type with a crown.

however i stand to be proved wrong by more expert people on the subject

philip
Old 06-10-10, 07:56 PM

Damocles,
If I am right to have a crown on the badge would indicate "The Royal SAS Regiment". Some contractor has made them and without knowledge of the "Crowns" signifigance ,I of course could be wrong.
The only time that I have everseen a man wearing SAS titles on BD was once in 1960 on the infamous railway station... Crewe!
I hope this helps
Seadayak
Old 06-10-10, 10:26 PM

Default Blazer badge

Thanks Guys,
Any feedback is most appreciated. it has been dates by an expert at around the 1940s mark and does not glow.
I wondered if it might have been made for a royal coronation or something?
Cheers
Mike
Old 06-10-10, 10:39 PM

Dunno what expert said 40s, but there is no way it is 1940s, maybe mid-50s, but still doesn't ring right with me. Also why did you remove the pictures from the other thread?

T
Old 07-10-10, 11:10 AM

Crown is for our beloved Queen Elizabeth 2. Not 40s at all.
Old 08-10-10, 06:14 AM

Thanks Jon.
Do you think it was for her coronation?
I removed the other pictures as I intended to put better quality ones in their place but got sent away for a bit!
Cheers
D

Last edited by 21Damocles; 08-10-10 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-10-10, 04:16 PM

I don't have much faith in your SAS experts opinion, 1940. Before the Regiment was formed they were wearing QC blazer badges?

In certain countries, Belize, India, Pakistan, Hong Kong, Cyprus etc, tailors will make up any badge you wish to present. Mostly they make up their own Regimental devices to sell to the troops posted / exercising overseas. This must be some foreign tailors idea, thinking a British Regiment it must have a crown. He was obviously wrong.

Nothing to do with the Coronation. Photographs from Regimental Association Parades right up to the late 60's have the men all wearing Lounge Suits with Regimental ties.

The standard Army wide Veterans uniform of Grey slacks and Blue blazer came in after that and hasn't gone away. Therefore your blazer badge is no earlier than 1965. I can't see any veteran wearing it with an unofficial crown like that. Us veterans are very weary of anything out of the ordinary, that's why Walts are so easily spotted.

I know your after someone telling you its a rare item and worth megabucks. It's a tailors fantasy item, probably rare in that all others went in the bin.
Old 09-10-10, 12:39 PM

I apologize for wasting your valuable time gentlemen, especially that of an sas veteran.
Old 09-10-10, 01:35 PM
peter616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Damocles View Post
I apologize for wasting your valuable time gentlemen, especially that of an sas veteran.

Hi you are not wasting any bodys time this is what the forum for and i have see that badge worn by SAS veteran

peter
Old 09-10-10, 05:36 PM
Banned

My late uncle, one of the first dozen members of the original L-Detachment, began wearing an SAS blazer badge about two years after the war, I have a photo of him wearing it. I see a number of veterans of various units wearing blazer badges which are not 100% accurate representations of their unit badge, and are obtained from any one of 100 different sources.

I'd be surprised if an SAS veteran wore a blazer badge with a crown, as its not part of the unit badge, but outside that, I'd say it was an 80s item, that might well have been worn by an older veteran.
Old 10-10-10, 11:06 AM

Default L Detachment

hi,

Always interesting to come across family of original L Det members.

Would you care to share any information and/or pictures of your late uncle with us?

A lot information was published already on the 'Originals', but I would still be very interested in any additional pictures or stories.

best regards,

Johan