British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-09-17, 07:35 PM

Default Fredrick Sage & Co Ltd

Nice to see a new section up and running.

I posted this one some time back, but apart from this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freder...ge_%26_Company and one response from Rob, I never realy got anywhere with it and this new section reminded me of it.

If you look carefully at the badge, you will see a biplane in the top half and an Airship in the lower.

So, it would seem that Fredrick Sage & Co Ltd were active in the construction of aircraft during the Great War and I would guess that this is a "War Workers" badge.

Not the best images, but I hope it is of some interest? In all my years collecting, I have never seen another.

Andrew

Last edited by Nozzer; 10-02-18 at 10:26 PM.
Old 15-09-17, 07:50 PM

Not that I was aware of the F. Sage & Co. history, I was familiar with their old works in Peterborough, derelict for years before demolition, & the nearby Sage's Lane.
Old 16-09-17, 11:02 AM

If you follow this link you will see that they did indeed build aircraft and cabins for airships - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freder...ge_%26_Company
Old 16-09-17, 02:35 PM

Some interesting details on the company which was actually a firm of shopfitters who went over to the manufacture of aircraft in WWI.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Frederick_Sage_and_Co

Most badges produced in WWI state something like "On War Service" or mention HM Government.

Someone needs to do a good old fashioned book on them.

Jon
Old 08-10-17, 07:07 PM

So, a month on and I thought I would visit this one again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Not that I was aware of the F. Sage & Co. history, I was familiar with their old works in Peterborough, derelict for years before demolition, & the nearby Sage's Lane.
A long shot I know, but I don't suppose you managed to snap some pictures? I would be very interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribyn View Post
If you follow this link you will see that they did indeed build aircraft and cabins for airships - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freder...ge_%26_Company
Thanks, I did see that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
Some interesting details on the company which was actually a firm of shopfitters who went over to the manufacture of aircraft in WWI.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Frederick_Sage_and_Co

Most badges produced in WWI state something like "On War Service" or mention HM Government.

Someone needs to do a good old fashioned book on them.

Jon
Thanks Jon,

The general consensus, amongst my collecting circle, is that is a Workers badge of some sort (note the number on the reverse), but as to it being a War Workers badge, I guess we will never know.

Thank you for your time gentlemen
Old 08-10-17, 07:25 PM

[QUOTE=Nozzer;423580]So, a month on and I thought I would visit this one again.

A long shot I know, but I don't suppose you managed to snap some pictures? I would be very interested.

No, sorry, no photographs - the site was just somewhere I drove past & would've entered every now & then years ago.
Old 08-10-17, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
No, sorry, no photographs - the site was just somewhere I drove past & would've entered every now & then years ago.
Thanks Leigh

I guess we often don't realise the significance of these sites until it is to late. I would pass the old TA drill hall on Port Hill in Hertford on a daily basis whilst working, which was still being used by the Army Cadets. I would often visit it to draw our DP's as they had an armoury and we didn't. I guess that we take it for granted that these places will always be around. That is until we turn away and they are knocked down to make way for housing that nobody can really afford.

Anyway, I digress.. If you google Sage aircraft, you will see some nice images of their work.

Thanks,

Andrew