British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-11-08, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Default Good reference?

My knowledge of Commonwealth insignia needs to be improved, and I am looking for standard references for badges of different Dominions. Is this a good standard reference for New Zealand badges?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...link:middle:us
What other references should one have in their library? Corbett's book is nearly 30 years old, should it still be included?
Old 04-11-08, 03:37 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
My knowledge of Commonwealth insignia needs to be improved, and I am looking for standard references for badges of different Dominions. Is this a good standard reference for New Zealand badges?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...link:middle:us
What other references should one have in their library? Corbett's book is nearly 30 years old, should it still be included?
Bill,
Well its better than the Cox book which "only" covers Commonwealth
countries during WWI.
David
Old 04-11-08, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, which one David? The Corbett or Oldham reference?
Old 04-11-08, 04:09 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Sorry, which one David? The Corbett or Oldham reference?
Bill,
I don't have it with me - its in Hamburg, but its the one that covers all the Commonwealth and Dominion countries - including the English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish regiments. If it helps, the cover is a very dark brown or black.
It could be W.Cox?

david.
Old 04-11-08, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks David, I have the Cox reference, but there are apparently two references for New Zealand badges by themselves, one by Corbett and one by Oldham. These were the ones that I was interested in learning about.

Last edited by Bill A; 04-11-08 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-11-08, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks David, I have the Cox reference, but there are apparently two references for New Zealand badges by themselves, one by Corbett and one by Oldham. These were the ones that I was interested in learning about.
Bill,
If I was more flush I'd get that book. The picture's of the contents he
shows with the item look good to me.
Old 04-11-08, 06:13 PM

Hello there,i've owned D.A.Corbetts book "The regimental badges of New Zealand'' for over 25 years ,while being the best reference book available it does have some mistakes and misidentifications.G Oldham's book is more of an price guide with a ''potted history'' of most badges.The prices were given in 1997 ,and since the rise of the internet age badges have become more accessable and sought after, bringing an upswing in prices,so its rather out of date in that regard.
A third reference booklet is''New Zealand Reinforcement badges 1914-1918'',by G Lowe,covers that area ,although it is not extensive in the full range.

I would say Corbetts is the best available without any better replacements in the near future. Cheers Iain
Old 07-01-09, 11:48 PM

Just picked up a copy of Corbett's "The Regimental Badges of New Zealand" from Eugene Ursuals. I would rate it as Excellent... lots of history and lots of detailed pictures... picture quality is much better than the 2nd edition Kipling and King vol 1and 2 that I have.... my only question is are the badges pictured to scale..
Old 08-01-09, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim a View Post
my only question is are the badges pictured to scale..
JimA, If you would measure - in mm, from the page - these 3 NZ badges,
and post, I will measure them when I get in this evening and post the
sizes. I have a micrometer and will do the width and height.

14th (South Otago Rifles) Regiment - OR's CB with JRGaunt London tablet Cox2943
4th (Waikato) Mounted Rifles - Gilt Officers CB with JRGaunt London tablet Cox2904
10th (North Otago Rifles) Regiments - Gilt Officers CB with JRGaunt London tablet Cox2938
Rgds, david
Old 08-01-09, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
Hello there,i've owned D.A.Corbetts book "The regimental badges of New Zealand'' for over 25 years ,while being the best reference book available it does have some mistakes and misidentifications.G Oldham's book is more of an price guide with a ''potted history'' of most badges.The prices were given in 1997 ,and since the rise of the internet age badges have become more accessable and sought after, bringing an upswing in prices,so its rather out of date in that regard.
A third reference booklet is''New Zealand Reinforcement badges 1914-1918'',by G Lowe,covers that area ,although it is not extensive in the full range.

I would say Corbetts is the best available without any better replacements in the near future. Cheers Iain

Corbetts is good but has a number of erros. Geoff Oldhams book is based on Dave Corbett's book and uses many of the photos that Dave had done and repeated erros. Most of the current knowledge is with a handfull of key collectors - I know a bit and since Geoff and Dave Oldhams shops are only 15 minutes from my home I can always verify information if request.

Ask me anything you want and I will respond.

Shaun
Old 08-01-09, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumua View Post
Corbetts is good but has a number of erros. Geoff Oldhams book is based on Dave Corbett's book and uses many of the photos that Dave had done and repeated erros. Most of the current knowledge is with a handfull of key collectors - I know a bit and since Geoff and Dave Oldhams shops are only 15 minutes from my home I can always verify information if request.

Ask me anything you want and I will respond.

Shaun
Shaun,
On my albums (page 2) I have a New Zealand Railway Corps Cox2927
with lugs and to me it appears to be ok. Its unmarked silver and a jeweller
has confirmed that it is made of silver. Is this badge the genuine article
or is it a fake?
If you want precise dimensions or better pics, let me know.
David
Incidently, have NZ badges (in general) been subject to the same level of copying,
restriking/ general faking (call it what you will) that the UK ones have been subjected to.

Last edited by wright241; 08-01-09 at 06:24 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-01-09, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Shaun,
On my albums (page 2) I have a New Zealand Railway Corps Cox2927
with lugs and to me it appears to be ok. Its unmarked silver and a jeweller
has confirmed that it is made of silver. Is this badge the genuine article
or is it a fake?
If you want precise dimensions or better pics, let me know.
David
Incidently, have NZ badges (in general) been subject to the same level of copying,
restriking/ general faking (call it what you will) that the UK ones have been subjected to.
Generally NZ badges have not seen the same curse as the UK ones (LRDG is the exception, as well as some rarer badges which Dave Corbett made collectors copies of - unfortuneatley not marked and can be sold by unrupulous people as real). In recent years the NZ Pioneers badge has been copied usually with a slider which is unusual for NZ badges.

I have seen the silver Railways badges from the UK eBay sellers and believe them to be fake. They come in brass and fine bronze - nice UK strike. Never seen one in silver and if it was it would have UK hallmarks or would be silver plated or chromed - I have a chromed set believed to be bands.

WW1 NZ Re-inforcements badges do appear in gold and silver as they were made in NZ to order and sweethearts could be made in what you liked but generally silver is not common for NZ badges of that era. Volunteer period had some (pre 1911) and then again 1950s GAUNT officers GILT and SILVER PLATE/SILVER.

Hope it helps.

Shaun
Old 09-01-09, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumua View Post
Generally NZ badges have not seen the same curse as the UK ones (LRDG is the exception, as well as some rarer badges which Dave Corbett made collectors copies of - unfortuneatley not marked and can be sold by unrupulous people as real). In recent years the NZ Pioneers badge has been copied usually with a slider which is unusual for NZ badges.

I have seen the silver Railways badges from the UK eBay sellers and believe them to be fake. They come in brass and fine bronze - nice UK strike. Never seen one in silver and if it was it would have UK hallmarks or would be silver plated or chromed - I have a chromed set believed to be bands.

WW1 NZ Re-inforcements badges do appear in gold and silver as they were made in NZ to order and sweethearts could be made in what you liked but generally silver is not common for NZ badges of that era. Volunteer period had some (pre 1911) and then again 1950s GAUNT officers GILT and SILVER PLATE/SILVER.

Hope it helps.

Shaun
Many thanks Shaun.
David
Old 09-01-09, 06:49 PM

Just to add to Shauns comments,we are fortunate enough in New Zealand to be isolated from the curse of faking.It seems the badges that have been faked are limited to a few rarer W.W.1 badges as well as the mentioned W.W.2 badge the L.R.D.G.(Long Range Desert Group).

One of the rarest New Zealand W.W.1 badges is a prime example,the NZ Camel Corp cap badge.One was recently offered on a auction site for $1200(400 pound),the seller thought he had a genuine badge ,he said he bought it off a Military dealer,but the badge was clearly a cast badge where the original is sandcast(very hard to fake the effects of sandcasting).Fortunately there were no takers.

The New Zealand Maori Poineer Corps(W.W.1) is the odd one out as it is'nt especially rare,and i must admit i was caught out several years back buying one from a U.K internet seller.They sure look the part ,and had me convinced for a while,untill news spread through the grapevine that these were in fact fakes.

So as Shaun alluded to ,their are a good core of badge experts over here(i'm not one,still learning), only willing to share their knowledge .And if in doubt ask questions first before you buy.

Cheers Iain

Last edited by pukman; 10-01-09 at 06:47 AM. Reason: typo