British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-11-12, 07:26 PM

Default 21st Hussars Badges and Buttons

Apart from those badges worn on the horse furniture, (bit bosses, stirrup slides, ear bosses, breast badges etc) is there any evidence of badges or buttons attributed to the 21st Hussars?
Undress sabretache badge, blazer or hunt buttons?

All I have is two (not a pair) of locally manufactured shoulder titles!!

Any help most welcome please

Gordon
Old 06-12-12, 07:15 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day Tankie

Westlake shows a XX1 H shoulder title, Linaker & Dine show only 21st Lancers sleeve badges, I have a 21st Lancers button with upright lancers but no 21H button and dont know if there were 21H buttons or not but I suspect that there would have been. There were embroidered 21 H Sabertache badges but I dont know if there was a metal underss type, sorry I dont have the sabertache book as yet.

I have 8 sterling silver desert spoons with the 21st Hussars badge engraved on to them, hallmarked in the 1850's and also 2 large silver table spoons with the same badge. These were purchased direct from QRL a couple of years back when they had a sale of unwanted regimental prperty.
I also have 8, 17th Lancers forks and a mustard spoon all hallmarked 1828, also 2, 16th Lancers ladles, one a soup ladle and the other a sauce ladle, also sterling silver.

Cheers

Phil.
Old 06-12-12, 06:34 PM

Hi Phil

Many thanks for your reply, it was good to hear from you.

On the serious side I think you are right that very little "hardware" worn on the uniforms of the 21st Hussars exists. What little is known seems to have been lost during the time of conversion to Lancers and the move to Omdurman.

The two shoulder titles I have are clearly locally manufactured and came from the button box of the daughter-in-law of SSMRR Seabrook who rode in that charge. How they came to be there is not known but I assume were kept as a momento of service in the 21st Hussars.

On a slightly less than serious note you would appear the have enough Mess cutlery to serve Officers' Mess of the QLR.

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 09-12-12, 09:31 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Hi Tankie

Yes the Xmas table will look very nice with the silver and crystal for the red wine, chocolates etc.

I also have quite a large collection of 17th Lancer and 17th/21st Lancer and QRL material, including medals to the 17th including a Light Brigade charge and Indian Mutiny trio and also an Omduman charge pair to the 21st as well.

Regards

Phil.