British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-03-13, 10:30 PM

Default Canadian Airborne Regt officers capbadge

Is this an officers capbadge? Or something from the kit shop, it is very nicely detailed and has very gold coloured wings, compared to an original capbadge the detail is the same.
No markings on the back, screw posts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CDNairbn.jpg (66.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg CDNairbn1.jpg (58.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg CDNairbn2.jpg (64.4 KB, 49 views)
Old 13-03-13, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

ISTBC, but I don't think the badge is an officer's badge. Belt buckle?
Old 14-03-13, 12:10 AM

The screw post variety were available in the Airborne kit shop in the late 80s, early 90s. They were worn on the rectangular web belt plate.
The officers wore the wire embroidered cap badge on their berets as shown in Grimshaw's and Joyce's books. If it isn't considered arrogant of me to point that out.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 14-03-13 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Avoiding grief.
Old 14-03-13, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Phil, not everyone has access to the Grimshaw book, now long out of print. Ken Joyce only covers the SWW period.
Grimshaw does not list the screw post variety in The Badges and Insignia of the Canadian Airborne Forces (1981), nor does Clark and Pugh in Canadian Airborne Insignia 1942-Present (1994). Grimshaw lists the cloth bullion badge but does not specify it as officers, while Clark and Pugh list the bullion wire badge as officers. Grimshaw does not indicate the badge is officers, but seems to suggest the entire Airborne Regiment was to move to a cloth beret badge. Clark and Pugh indicate the wire badge was officers' issue.

Last edited by Bill A; 14-03-13 at 12:02 PM. Reason: added info
Old 14-03-13, 02:14 PM

Default cloth

I only ever saw officers of this unit wearing a cloth bullion beret badge...anecdotal but still eveidence of a common practice in this unit..
Old 14-03-13, 03:38 PM

I have a couple copies of The Maroon Beret in my book collection. The photos of the COs and officers show both a bullion and a metal cap badge being worn. I'm pretty sure the Forum has a few officers of the regiment as members, we could always just ask them what they wore, what was available and why?

The screw post badge is interesting in that the one in my collection has a fused overlay (the badge is bi-metal but one-piece) where the typical badge often seen and common is bi-metal in two pieces welded together.

My badge has been id'd as a belt overlay and I accept that, but the badge is a scarcer variety and why I've never seen this type on a belt plate - is probably because I really don't focus on Airborne Regt. badges.

Either way, while rarer it's not conclusively a "officer" badge and a such does not command the obscene prices that dealers demand (and the uninformed pay) for an "officer" badge.

Greg

Last edited by GregN; 15-04-13 at 03:44 AM.