British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-05-24, 08:19 AM

Default Honourable Artillery Company, Grenadier Guard or something else....?

Hello - Today I wondered if the experts on this thread could help confirm my thoughts on a couple of postcards in my problem pile.

I am relatively sure the solider in regular dress is from the Honourable Artillery Company, it's a London published postcard and there appears to be writing on the grenade, however, there are so many regiments with similar badges that I am not certain, in particular the Grenadier Guards who I understand do have variants of their badge with writing on (but perhaps not in WW1 era...)

I am less sure about the bandsman's cap badge, there appears to be no writing on it, which makes me less sure this could be HAC, there are no publisher details to help so I wondered if the uniform could be a clue as to the regiment. Is this a Grenadier Guard badge do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240521_090853.jpg (46.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20240521_090903.jpg (50.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20240521_090913.jpg (26.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20240521_090922.jpg (38.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20240521_090930.jpg (44.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 21-05-24, 08:32 AM

The Drummer would appear to be Grenadier Guards, the man in SD HAC.

Shouldn't the Drummer have 8 rather than 7 rows of braid / buttons showing?

Then again, this photo of Grenadier Guards Drummers (the two on the left, the two on the right are Coldstream) shows one Drummer with 7, the other with 8. The number depends on the height of the wearer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-2272-1222974902.jpg (81.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 21-05-24 at 10:30 AM.
Old 21-05-24, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillie_c View Post
Hello - Today I wondered if the experts on this thread could help confirm my thoughts on a couple of postcards in my problem pile.

I am relatively sure the solider in regular dress is from the Honourable Artillery Company, it's a London published postcard and there appears to be writing on the grenade, however, there are so many regiments with similar badges that I am not certain, in particular the Grenadier Guards who I understand do have variants of their badge with writing on (but perhaps not in WW1 era...)

I am less sure about the bandsman's cap badge, there appears to be no writing on it, which makes me less sure this could be HAC, there are no publisher details to help so I wondered if the uniform could be a clue as to the regiment. Is this a Grenadier Guard badge do you think?
the man in photos 2 and 3 is definitely HAC Infantry.
Old 21-05-24, 09:57 AM

Perfect - Thanks so much for the insightful comments everyone - Very much appreciated indeed!