British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-05-24, 10:42 PM

Default RECENTLY ARRIVED HOME SERVICE HELMET PLATES

Hello All,

In addition to my collection of British Army dragoon helmets and my entry late last year into collecting Victoria home service helmets, my one other area of interest and collecting is Victorian officer’s home service helmet plates. I think it might be fun, interesting and perhaps informative to share with my fellow Forum members some of my most recent (in the last four or five months) additions to my home service helmet plate collection. My most recent additions are helmet plates to: the Norfolk Rifle Volunteers; 2nd Volunteer Battalion, the Royal Warwickshire Regiment; 1st Volunteer Battalion, The Suffolk Regiment; The South Staffordshire Regiment; The Royal Berkshire Regiment; 4th Administrative Battalion, Staffordshire Rifle Volunteers; the Royal Military College; the King’s Own (2nd Staffordshire) Light Infantry Militia; The Cheshire Regiment; The Royal Irish Regiment; 1st (Winchester) Volunteer Battalion, The Hampshire Regiment; and the 2nd Royal Lancashire Militia (Liverpool Linnets). In the spirit of sharing, please enjoy and please don’t hesitate to offer any comments… and thank you for looking at this post!

Cheers,

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Norfolk Rifle Volunteers.jpg (67.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 2nd Volunteer Battalion, The Royal Warwickshire Regiment.jpg (68.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 1st Volunteer Battalion, The Suffolk Regiment.jpg (75.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg South Staffordshire Regiment.jpg (69.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg The Royal Berkshire Regiment.jpg (76.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 4th Adminastrative Battalion, Staffordshire Rifle Volunteers.jpg (66.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Royal Military College, Sandhurst.jpg (64.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg King's Own (2nd Staffordshire) Light Infantry Militia.jpg (74.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg The Cheshire Regiment.jpg (69.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg The Royal Irish Regiment.jpg (79.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 1st (Winchester) Volunteer Battalion, The Hampshire Regiment.jpg (67.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 2nd Royal Lancashire Militia (Liverpool Linnet's).jpg (88.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 17-05-24, 11:51 PM

Very impressive. Many thanks for sharing.

Cheers

John
Old 18-05-24, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woronora View Post
Very impressive. Many thanks for sharing.

Cheers

John
Hello John,

My pleasure!!! THANK YOU for looking at this post and for your most enthusiastic comment, I appreciate it... glad you enjoyed viewing the most recent additions to my helmet plate collection... I hope you will take a few minutes and look at some of my other posts below this one on the headdress page, here, on the Forum showcasing some of my dragoon and home service helmets in my collection!

Again, many thanks!!

Cheers,

David
Old 18-05-24, 07:44 AM

The officers Norfolk rifle volunteers plate is nice, and a good find. If your going down that road, there’s 4 officers volunteer plates, 1 officers militia plate, and a few to rifle volunteers, and other Norfolk raised units.
Old 18-05-24, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk regt man View Post
The officers Norfolk rifle volunteers plate is nice, and a good find. If your going down that road, there’s 4 officers volunteer plates, 1 officers militia plate, and a few to rifle volunteers, and other Norfolk raised units.
... THANK YOU for your kind remarks concerning my Norfolk Rifles Volunteers officers home service helmet plate. I was pretty excited to come across it and of course add it to my collection. My limited research suggests that the helmet plate was worn from 1878 through 1880... I would appreciate it if you can shed more light on its ware. The break down on the distribution of helmet plate types is very useful, so thank you for that. It is fairly difficult to access reliable information on such things on my side of the ocean! I do have a regular battalion officers Norfolk Regiment helmet plate in my collection, too. Perhaps not the finest example, but I acquired it about 50 years ago as a gift from my parents when I was, perhaps. ten years old, so lots of sentimental attachment!!

Again, thank you for your kind observations and comments!

Cheers,

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Norfolk Regiment.jpg (62.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 18-05-24, 11:29 PM

Well, I don't know if I can make any qualitative statements regarding so fine a lot; this and your other collections.
Astounding perhaps?

CB
Old 19-05-24, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Well, I don't know if I can make any qualitative statements regarding so fine a lot; this and your other collections.
Astounding perhaps?

CB
Hello CB,

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your very generous remarks... you are too kind, and I appreciate it! As I have mentioned previously, this living and ever-growing collection has been and continues to be a true labor of love and a collection I am very proud to have assembled. I strive to only acquire these pieces I believe to be of genuinely high quality and significance to British Victorian and Edwardian military fashion and history in an effort to help preserve a bit of the past for the benefit of future audiences to see, enjoy and hopefully continue to appreciate.

Again, thank you for your enthusiastic comment and for looking at this post!

Cheers.

David