British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-05-22, 12:13 PM

Default Manchester Regiment

In amongst a bag of Manchester staybrites I have just found a metal badge which looks identical to the staybrites both in shape and finish.Wre these worn at the same time or does the metal one predate the staybrite ones?
Thanks,
John
The metal one is at the bottom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220529_122602.jpg (75.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220529_122610.jpg (68.8 KB, 54 views)
Old 29-05-22, 10:01 PM

A bag of Manchester staybrites?

Sounds like a potential gold mine.
Old 30-05-22, 08:19 AM

The collars are scarce . . .
Old 30-05-22, 10:10 AM

Hi John
Is it not The Manchester Regiment 8th & 9th Battalions TA, they wore a chromed one.
Regards
Neil
Old 30-05-22, 01:46 PM

Hi Neil,
Thanks for your reply. Just to clarify, the anodised badge was sealed in 1964, the same year as the Manchesters were amalgamated, hence their scarcity.
The white metal badge was sealed in the fifties, so this badge I have is made of metal with a strong metal slider but it has a finish identical to the staybrite ones. Was this for the regular army or a territorial unit or a cadet force unit? I know it is genuine, all the badges came from a closed army depot.
Thanks

John
Old 30-05-22, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindoostan View Post
Hi Neil,
Thanks for your reply. Just to clarify, the anodised badge was sealed in 1964, the same year as the Manchesters were amalgamated, hence their scarcity.
The white metal badge was sealed in the fifties, so this badge I have is made of metal with a strong metal slider but it has a finish identical to the staybrite ones. Was this for the regular army or a territorial unit or a cadet force unit? I know it is genuine, all the badges came from a closed army depot.
Thanks

John
John,

Just for the sake of accuracy the Manchester Regiment and the Kings Regiment were amalgamated in 1958 and not 1964.

The badge you are asking about I have never known to be official and always assumed them to be either private purchase or a collectors edition from one of the Mints series.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 30-05-22, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

It seems very likely that the a/a one was likely intended to be worn by both the TA and cadets.

The w/m one has a sealed pattern of 1949 but I reckon it was several years before stocks were used up of the brass ones.

The TA bns reportedly had badges chromed for a parade,( I seem to remember by Gaylor?), but this has passed into folklore and I think it unlikely that they only wore these nor that they were the only ones. Whether they wanted chromed ones because they still had brass ones or someone thought that the w/m ones were in need of extra shine is unknown to me.
Old 30-05-22, 04:50 PM

I have heard several Line Infantry badges were chromed on conversion of particular battalions to a Royal Armour Corps role. Are we sure the Chrome Manchester badge has nothing to do with conversion of 5th Bn Manchester Regiment to 111 Regiment RAC?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Mike
Old 30-05-22, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quite simply they are too many around to be RAC.

The RAC conversions were at best semi-official and often nickel plated as well.
Old 30-05-22, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Quite simply they are too many around to be RAC.

The RAC conversions were at best semi-official and often nickel plated as well.
Many thanks Alan, your expertise is much appreciated.
Do you think some chrome Manchester Reg could be RAC conversion, or are you discounting that possibility all together please?
Regards
Mike
Old 30-05-22, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mike

The RAC variants are not well recorded so you can't discount it. The Kings Own RAC are one of the few that are recorded as being plated versions of the brass badge but they are one of the few.

Alan
Old 30-05-22, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
It seems very likely that the a/a one was likely intended to be worn by both the TA and cadets.

The w/m one has a sealed pattern of 1949 but I reckon it was several years before stocks were used up of the brass ones.

The TA bns reportedly had badges chromed for a parade,( I seem to remember by Gaylor?), but this has passed into folklore and I think it unlikely that they only wore these nor that they were the only ones. Whether they wanted chromed ones because they still had brass ones or someone thought that the w/m ones were in need of extra shine is unknown to me.
There may well be a kernel of truth to such a proposal. We know inter-War the London Irish Rifles chromed their existing stocks of BB badges as this was cheaper than manufacturing new badges.

We are fortunate that thanks to JT’s excellent research we have the paper trail for the London Irish. Who knows what else may lay yet undiscovered for other regiments in relation to chromed badges.

Obviously there are always other options and scenarios. If I recall correctly the chromed Isle of Wight Rifles badges are attributed to Cadets.

Like you I am a sceptic when it comes to the RAC affiliation often peddled by dealers.
Old 30-05-22, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

True but they nickel plated them and not chromed. There is a difference.
Old 30-05-22, 07:54 PM

Yes I admit that. But if in the 1950s I wanted a plate finish to resemble AA I’m certainly choosing chrome.