British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-12-14, 02:06 PM

Default CSC large collar with correct motto - info wanted

Hi all,

I'm trying to see if anyone has any information on a Canadian Signalling Corps (CSC) large sized collar badge that has the motto spelled correctly.... with VERSUTUS vs the incorrect VERSUTOS.

My archives research indicates the dies for the incorrect spelling were broken up in 1919. While there was some reluctance to create new dies not knowing what form the CSC would take post the First World War, it's possible that either dies were eventually created or sample badges produced prior to the new design in 1922.

The photo of such a badge seems to show that it's professionally produced and not a sand cast example. It also doesn't appear that it's a post production modification (say by grinding out the top of the 'O') as the letter 'U' is different in overall shape. The die looks like the usual one except for the second word of the motto where the spelling is corrected and the other letters look slightly different and somehow 'fatter'.

I searched my collection and I don't have any such as this. Does anyone have any examples of this badge? Information of any kind? Appreciate hearing from anyone who can shed light on this badge.

Cheers,

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image003.jpg (44.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 24-12-14, 06:38 PM

On a related note I'll add that the badge marked as Babin 33-1 is not a "3 Div Sigs" cap badge nor a cap badge at all. The archival reference clearly indicates the misspelled motto was in the "collar badge".

In the CEF era, I've seen photos of two units showing use of the CSC badge. 1st Canadian Divisional Signal Company (http://www.rcsigs.ca/index.php/File:...nuary_1919.jpg) and 3rd Divisional Signal Company (http://www.rcsigs.ca/index.php/File:...nuary_1919.jpg). The 1 Div Sig Coy is to be expected as it was raised from members of the CSC and members previously members were permitted to continue wearing their badges. The 3 Div Sig Coy is a bit surprising since all other Signal Companies besides the first were officially to wear Engineer badges.

In the two photos linked above, all the CSC badges on the caps are the proper large sized cap badge. I've heard of photos showing the large size collar worn as a cap, presumably due to supply issues with the proper cap badge, but I don't have a copy of such a photo. If someone does, I'd love a high quality image....
Old 29-12-14, 11:31 AM

Default Large CSC Collar

Hi Joe!
Doug (who was the main cause of my Signalling Collecting disease [miss him!]) told me that Toronto Sigs wore that collar as a HB. Do not remember the details of the conversation - just that.
Old 31-12-14, 01:41 PM

Hi Joe
I found this one one on Ebay this morning

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121507750069?...84.m1438.l2649

Len
Old 31-12-14, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Len, The badge in the auction is an RCCS collar badge. Authorized circa 1922.
Old 31-12-14, 04:53 PM

opps sorry about that, I didn't realize that it was RCCS collar dog. I think I should either take my daughter's advice and get my eyes checked or wait until I finish my pot of coffee in the mornings, before I posting.

Len

Tags
canadian signals