British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-10-12, 07:22 PM

Default Admiralty Police Badges

Hello everyone

I have in my collection several Admiralty Constabulary cap badges - both King's and Queen's Crown - and I am very familiar with the purpose and history of the Admiralty Constabulary. However, in addition to these I have several cap badges, all Queen's Crown, which are of a similar design but instead of saying ADMIRALTY CONSTABULARY on them they state ADMIRALTY POLICE. I had never really given this difference much thought but I have begun to wonder if the Admiralty Police badges were actually worn by the Admiralty Constabulary in the UK or whether they were worn by Police in the Admiralty dockyards overseas?

I have seen Victorian and King's Crown examples of an Overseas Dockyard Police badge consisting of the appropriate Crown above a fouled anchor but, thinking about it, I have never seen a similar badge with a Queen's Crown. Were the Admiralty Police badges I have the modern successor to these badges?

If so, were these Admiralty Police cap badges worn in all the overseas dockyards? I have seen examples of buttons and other badges that distinguish between the various overseas dockyard police forces (mainly pre-war) but there doesn't seem to have been any variation in cap badges.

I look forward to your opinion on this.

Pete
Old 11-10-12, 07:42 PM

Hello Pete,

I can confirm for you that the Admiralty Police were the overseas equivalent of the UK Constabulary. I am not sure of exactly where they were stationed. I believe they are the successors of the dockyard police forces you mention.

There are some fakes being produced, including a constables badge with blue enamel on the circle. An example of this can be seen in my overseas defence police album

I am still desperately seeking an officer's badge for my collection

You need Jerry or Harry to pick up on this thread, they are proper experts

Regards,

Phil
Old 11-10-12, 07:50 PM

Hello Phil

Many thanks for the prompt reply!

Believe it it not I have had these badges for many years but it was only the other day that I began to wonder if they might have been for use in the overseas dockyards!

So were the same badges used in all the overseas dockyards? Was it a standard cap badge?

Now my suspicions have been confirmed I want to know more!

Pete
Old 11-10-12, 07:59 PM

I will be 100% honest and admit that i don't know, not for sure. I do know that the Admiralty Police served in Singapore.
Old 11-10-12, 08:54 PM

Default MOD Police

This document charts the constituents that formed the MOD Police in 1971 and may be of interest. It shows the Admiralty Civil Police 1922 -1949 and the Admiralty Constabulary 1949 - 1971

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 MDP.jpg (94.4 KB, 86 views)
Old 11-10-12, 10:59 PM

Just seen the thread. Here is a chart of the Admiralty police and a couple of pictures of badges, the last one is believed to have never been issued.
It will not allow me to show the chart here so I have put in on my album "COLLECTION 1"
Won't allow this either. Please send me a PM with your e mail address and I will send you the relevant pages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13 ADMIRALTY POLICE qc chrome slider#.jpg (41.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 14 ADMIRALTY POLICE insp qc.jpg (87.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 15 ADMIRALTY POLICE blue enamel qc.jpg (71.5 KB, 33 views)

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 12-10-12, 07:49 AM

Default Admiralty Police

Dear Pete, I have just seen your thread. I will be publishing a book covering this subject which has been researched over the last twenty or so years. It will cover Singapore and other Admiralty Dockyards world wide along with the
Army and RAF raised units. It should be ready (I hope) early next year and this is a private publication. Please find attached draft image of the cover and one proposed page.
Harry Wynne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Draft Overseas Raised Service Police Book Cover copy.jpg (59.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 12-10-12, 07:57 AM

Default Admiralty Police

Further to the last post, draft of Naval Police Force Singapore rank structure after 1958, which I was unable to attach along with the draft cover.
Harry Wynne.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rank Structurefrom 1959.jpg (53.0 KB, 90 views)
Old 12-10-12, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattle-watch1 View Post
Dear Pete, I have just seen your thread. I will be publishing a book covering this subject which has been researched over the last twenty or so years. It will cover Singapore and other Admiralty Dockyards world wide along with the
Army and RAF raised units. It should be ready (I hope) early next year and this is a private publication. Please find attached draft image of the cover and one proposed page.
Harry Wynne
Hi Harry
That sounds interesting, please let us know when it is available.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 12-10-12, 10:15 AM

Jerry

Have PMd you with details. Many thanks.

Pete
Old 13-10-12, 07:19 PM

Hi everyone

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. Your help (and superior knowledge!) is much appreciated. Thanks again.

Pete
Old 31-07-13, 04:44 PM

Default Singapore British Naval, Air , Army police

Hi Harry, do you still have any copies left. I am interested please. I have attached some images of your interest please.
SIN NPF logo.jpg

SIN Police Auxiliaries.jpg

SIN ADP.jpg

SIN Airport Constabulary.jpg

SIN NPF.jpg
Old 31-07-13, 05:22 PM

Default Who says size doesn’t matter?

This post has reminded me that I still have this station badge from the Naval Police Force Singapore, thought it might be of interest.

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31July2013 004b.jpg (60.0 KB, 37 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 31-07-13, 05:33 PM

Graham, thats awesome
Old 01-08-13, 05:24 AM

Hi,
Thought I could add some illustrations of the Dockyard Police in South Africa. I believe hese are post Republic days (ie. post 1961) though may have been adopted c.1958/59. At some point there duties were taken over by the Navy Police. Previously they wore the insignia of the UK Dockyard police with Kings Crown.

The illustration comes from the Commando magazine of October 1968.
All insignia was crome plated with rank stripes in silver wire on black melton.

Regards
Steven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dockyard Police.jpg (92.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Dockyard Police cap badge.jpg (40.8 KB, 21 views)