British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-09-20, 09:23 PM

Default Wearing of arm/trade badges on chevrons?

Can a member kindly explain the usage of Cavalry NCO arm badges, and also trade badges, that were directly applied to the chevrons of BD and service dress blouses?
I have seen photos of both metal and cloth insignia worn in this manner and would like to know what the criteria was and when it began, and of course any other relevant revelations!
Thanks,
CB
Old 15-09-20, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Can a member kindly explain the usage of Cavalry NCO arm badges, and also trade badges, that were directly applied to the chevrons of BD and service dress blouses?
I have seen photos of both metal and cloth insignia worn in this manner and would like to know what the criteria was and when it began, and of course any other relevant revelations!
Thanks,
CB
My interest fades after about 1920, and my expertise on this interesting aspect is non-existent. Superimposition is seen mainly on cavalry and on senior NCOs particularly those with four chevrons.
If I had to make any helpful comment it would boil down to suggesting regimental custom and practice allied with very sketchy clothing regulations. In this area, any generalisation could be destroyed by unearthing a single photograph or existing uniform.
As a politician would say "good question ...... !"
Old 15-09-20, 10:23 PM

My interest is before 1945. As you mentioned, there does not seem to be any hard rules regarding wearing of arm/trade badges on the stripes....or are there?

CB
Old 16-09-20, 08:20 AM

They can be often seen as such in the Royal Artillery.

The reason being the NCO's gun badge worn over the chevrons.

Farriers, Armourers, Collarmakers and wheelers can be seen wearing these badges on their chevrons with the gun above and often the Kings Crown above.

I always saw the practice as utilisation of space issue.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 16-09-20, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
They can be often seen as such in the Royal Artillery.

The reason being the NCO's gun badge worn over the chevrons.

Farriers, Armourers, Collarmakers and wheelers can be seen wearing these badges on their chevrons with the gun above and often the Kings Crown above.

I always saw the practice as utilisation of space issue.

regards
Yes, and of historical precedent, right back to 1860 or so. I have seen a few specific directions as to more recent superimposition, and will trawl my notes. One striking usage was drum major Dyer MM MSM of 2RWF c. 1920 with a set of overseas chevrons sewn on to his four appointment chevrons. Quite a sight.

There is a research project here for someone.

Last edited by grumpy; 16-09-20 at 06:54 PM. Reason: addendum