British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-01-21, 06:38 PM

Default Modified Dorset Imperial Yeomanry?

Would like to hear members thoughts on this one please.

Whilst this badge was sold simply as Dorset Yeomanry I noticed it was in fact the second type Dorset Imperial Yeomanry design with the ‘I’ removed. KK1337.

I’m aware the Leicestershire Imperial Yeomanry removed the central ‘I’ from their LIY badges post 1908, presumably before the new LY pattern was sealed or to use up old stock.

Has anyone else encountered such a modification on the Dorsets or any other Yeomanry badges?

On the badge the ‘I’ has been neatly removed and then filed smooth. It seems a very unlikely position to incur accidental damage and not the sort of thing a overzealous collector or unscrupulous dealer might do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 030DB1F7-7BBA-4A1B-ABCF-1CDB0E332704.jpg (85.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg E7686BAA-14DA-4C2F-8681-8587639B27DB.jpg (78.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 78FE1465-DC5C-42AA-ACFE-BB3B62408A31.jpg (28.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 23-01-21, 07:35 PM

The crown doesn't look uniform imho.
Andy
Old 23-01-21, 07:46 PM

Cool Modified Dorset Imperial Yeomanry?

I would say this was done when the TF was formed, who would in their right mind convert an Imperial Yeomanry badge to a Yeomanry badge unless to wear it officially.

Rob
Old 23-01-21, 08:20 PM

I have encountered examples before and have always just assumed it was officially done as a simple case of waste not, want not, much like altering a die to remove the word Imperial, or to remove lugs and replace them with a shank.
Badges had to be paid for by the various TF Associations, why waste money on buying more if a cost effective solution was at hand with a particular manufacturer, or even, a skilled third party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Would like to hear members thoughts on this one please.

Whilst this badge was sold simply as Dorset Yeomanry I noticed it was in fact the second type Dorset Imperial Yeomanry design with the ‘I’ removed. KK1337.

I’m aware the Leicestershire Imperial Yeomanry removed the central ‘I’ from their LIY badges post 1908, presumably before the new LY pattern was sealed or to use up old stock.

Has anyone else encountered such a modification on the Dorsets or any other Yeomanry badges?

On the badge the ‘I’ has been neatly removed and then filed smooth. It seems a very unlikely position to incur accidental damage and not the sort of thing a overzealous collector or unscrupulous dealer might do.
Old 24-01-21, 01:42 PM

My thoughts exactly Rob and Frank.

I wonder how many other Yeos repurposed their IY badges by physical removal of a tagged-on or fretwork ‘I’.

Here is my GM Leicestershire Yeomanry with similar treatment. Am still seeking the WM version if anyone can help.

Some lovely pictures of these being worn bottom of this page on Griff’s website - https://www.paoyeomanry.org.uk/LY190815Badge.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E4094E7A-C6DF-4325-8602-9CB222FE7006.jpg (72.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg F8515682-A59E-4B70-A4B6-B8021625FB6C.jpg (79.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 24-01-21, 07:04 PM

Cool Badge alterations

This is not actually an alteration by removing a part of the badge, just careful bending to these Cambridgeshire Rifle Volunteer collars to make a two tower pair of badges from a pair of original three tower. I have put up a pair of issued three and two tower for comparison.

Volunteers were very innovative if nothing else.

Rob

PS. I have just noticed one of my two tower has a key which makes it a Suffolk Regt collar!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030226.jpg (83.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg P1030227.jpg (81.9 KB, 22 views)