British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-09-08, 11:00 PM

Default RWF, 1stWW, Wolseley Helmets, auctioned

From that notorious auction site. A nice example of a Wolseley helmet with cloth badges to the RWF(?), purported to be 1stWW(?). Interesting item nonetheless.
Jo

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wolseley-pith-wi...QQcmdZViewItem

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 10-09-08, 03:19 PM

I saw this helmet too. I dont know if those red diamonds on each side have anything to do with the RWF. A lot of regiments used dark blue welts on the puggaree. But whatever it is, it looks like a good authentic example.

CB
Old 10-09-08, 04:37 PM

Default RWF Helmet

And you didn't think I would have noticed?
Sadly however, nothing to do with the RWF as far as I know. I seem to recall that a blue band above the puggari indicates Royal Navy.
Further I've got nothing in my archive material that appears to corroborate a red flash as worn on the foreign service helmet.
Hwyl,
Kevin
Old 10-09-08, 05:01 PM

Are we that surprised, it is E --- after all

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 10-09-08, 05:04 PM

Default About the seller.

Hi guys, if you check this seller's other items, he has many different articles from many countries. So, maybe he is not as knowledgeable as he could be on this particular subject and, he relied on informations coming from a friend of a friend of a friend......
This is my view on this.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 10-09-08, 06:23 PM

Voltigeur,,
Your thoughts on the sellers description are admirable, but it might also be that by describing the items as being to a highly collectable regiment he hoped to increase the sale price. ( sorry cynicism comes with age )

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 10-09-08, 07:46 PM

.....and I agree with you. This guy could be a con artist.
Jo

Old 11-09-08, 01:56 PM

not a very good picture, but is seem perhaps a flash on the helmet

on the internet sit of the 1bat of royal welch fus...

http://www.theroyalwelsh.org.uk/1bn/...d=9&img=2&nm=2

on this site the actual cap badge of officiers seem to be only the "ICH DIEN" and for OR the "grenade" with withe HACKLE ....
officers dont had the "grenade" too ?? (english army is very difficult to understand for me ....)

Last edited by jeanpit-frenchy; 11-09-08 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-09-08, 01:59 PM
Badge Guru

If this can be proven to be WW1 and its Royal Navy its actually worth more. So I dont think its deception on the part of the seller.
Old 11-09-08, 02:36 PM
peter616

the pith helmet is late 1920s early 1930s and was worn by both Royal Navy and the RAF as they also had a blue band to the helmet can be seen in photos in the Far East in WW2

Last edited by peter616; 11-09-08 at 02:46 PM.
Old 13-09-08, 11:04 PM

Default RWF Wolseley Helmet,the final chapter.

Hi guys, to close the chapter on the sale of this helmet, here's the final price from the infamous auction. Hopefully he did not spend the rent money on this, if it's a dud.
Jo

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wolseley-pith-wi...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 14-09-08, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter616 View Post
the pith helmet is late 1920s early 1930s and was worn by both Royal Navy and the RAF as they also had a blue band to the helmet can be seen in photos in the Far East in WW2
Just curious how you arrived at the dates, Peter -- from the blue puggaree band, or something about the helmet itself? I'm always interested in how items might be pinned down to a particular period!
Old 16-12-08, 08:41 PM

Default RWF Puggaree flash

I have a recollection from my youth in Caernarfon, where I used to haunt the Museum, that the RWF wore a red diamond on the puggaree, on which was a Dragon in white, with RWF underneath, also in white...

Any Cofis here who can go and have a look?
Old 17-12-08, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanpit-frenchy View Post
not a very good picture, but is seem perhaps a flash on the helmet

on the internet sit of the 1bat of royal welch fus...

http://www.theroyalwelsh.org.uk/1bn/...d=9&img=2&nm=2

on this site the actual cap badge of officiers seem to be only the "ICH DIEN" and for OR the "grenade" with withe HACKLE ....
officers dont had the "grenade" too ?? (english army is very difficult to understand for me ....)

Just a small point, it's the BRITISH army and the Royal WELCH Fusiliers are WELSH.
Old 17-12-08, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStafford View Post
[/B]

Just a small point, it's the BRITISH army and the Royal WELCH Fusiliers are WELSH.
The "Welsh" spelling was only in use for a short period around the turn of the 19/20th Centuries.

As an Army Cadet in the 1960's, I wore an O/R's cap badge with the Welch spelling, given to me by a former officer of the 7th Bn, who wore it during WW1, when on patrol (the officers' bronze pattern being attractive to enemy marksmen!)

The final a/a version of the RWF badge was also with the Welch spelling.