British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-02-17, 03:31 PM

Grace's Guide to Industry turned up a company called Annandale and Son, a paper manufacturers.

The attached ad found on the Internet shows they were working in 1905 so could have been operating in 1916.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Annandale and Co.jpg (84.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-02-17, 09:01 PM

Default Annandale paper manufacturers’ badge?

Hi Jon

Many thanks for your interesting suggestion about the paper makers. I managed to have a look in the Royal National Directory of Scotland (with map) 1915, which was jointly produced by Slater’s and Kelly’s, and Annandale & Son Limited are listed, in the trades section, as being at “Mill No. 28, Polton mills, Polton, Midlothian” (they are also under Lasswade in “Edinburghshire”). It’s certainly a possibility, though, if it was an ‘on war service’ badge for them, then I’d have expected it to give their full company name.

Anyhow, whilst I was looking at this directory, I looked up Annandale in the index, which referred me to p. 452 and “Annan” in “Dumfries-shire”. The commercial section of this has two entries containing the word ‘Annandale’: The Annandale Observer, which was the local newspaper, and the Annandale Steam Laundry. I think it unlikely that these would be behind the 1915 Annandale badge myself, which, for me, does leave the colliery.

Although the Annandale colliery wasn’t obviously listed in the directory, which I understand was near Kilmarnock, Caprington & Auchlochan Collieries Ltd, who apparently owned the Annandale pit, are listed on p. 1703. As an aside I believe there was, at one time, an Annandale brickworks, who stamped their bricks “Annandale”. In fact, it seems that this was on the site of the old Annandale colliery.

I have to say, I am favouring the colliery for the badge as the possible origin, though I do think more research would be needed. As I’ve decided to part with the badge, maybe some else will have the opportunity to do this? In any event, thank you again for taking the time to respond to this thread.

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”
Old 05-02-17, 07:06 PM

Martin,
Annandale sounded familiar to me but I think that it is the Distillery which reopened some years ago.
However, there is an Annandale in Sydney NSW Australia and a short book published which is reviewed on google books : Annandale's Great War, A Short Walk by Marehanta da Cruz.
It may throw up something in relation to your badge
Paul
Old 07-02-17, 02:20 AM

Smile Annadale badge for sale?

Hi

If you still have it and are still keen to sell. I'd be keen. Let me know and we can work something out.
Possible good price awaits!
Old 07-02-17, 10:41 AM

Default Annandale 1915 badge for sale

Hello dumdum

Thank you for your posting. I did actually put the badge up in the classified section of the Forum here, at a price that reflects what I originally paid for it plus postage within the United Kingdom. If you’re overseas I’d have to see what the costs would be for this, and then get back to you. As with all my sales, I’m parting with items I no longer want and am simply looking to recoup my initial outlay so I can reinvest in other things for my research. If you are interested in this Annandale badge, then please drop me a PM and we’ll take it from there.

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Tags
lapel badge, on war service