British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-12-10, 12:55 PM

Default MAKER MARKS

Hi, Simple question really; why are (most) AA badges maker marked, and why are (most) GM/WM badges not maker marked?

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 25-12-10, 07:10 PM
Former Member

The advent of Advertising!

Andy
Old 25-12-10, 09:20 PM

I would believe you if they had Coca Cola, Marlboro or MacDonalds on the obverse...

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 26-12-10, 12:11 AM

Hi fougasse1940

Most genuine A/A badge with sliders are maker marked while most dodgy A/A with sliders aren't. Probably because the makers didn't want to admit to making them.

Most genuine A/A badges with lugs are seldom maker marked but if you look around on the reverse you may find a mark especially on the larger Scottish badges.

Few ACF/CCF badges either with sliders or lugs are maker marked.

This could all be to do with the ownership of the dies - with ACF/CCF badges possibly the ACF or schools own the dies and tooling hence no maker marks but I have no real evidence.

War Office specification from 1950 re: A/A cap badges asked for maker marks but as stated, seldom found on lugged items.

Regards

Chris
Old 26-12-10, 11:04 AM

Only a theory, but perhaps the War Office asked for anodised badges to be maker marked as this was a "new technology" and there were a number of different makers producing badges.
The working life of an anodisd cap badge must be less than its GM, WM or BIM predecessor and the War Office was keen to collect information for quality control purposes. The particular issues being robustness of the badge, life of the anodised coating and sliders breaking off.
Old 26-12-10, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Post WW2 it became the norm for makers to mark the sliders of their badges. By the 1950s it was the norm so a/a merely continued this practice. There was no other reason.
Old 26-12-10, 07:52 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Post WW2 it became the norm for makers to mark the sliders of their badges. By the 1950s it was the norm so a/a merely continued this practice. There was no other reason.
Alan,
I beg to differ on this statement! Makers Marks on the sliders of Genuine pre anodised badges are far less common than you suggest!

Andy
Old 26-12-10, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Well there we differ.
Old 26-12-10, 10:54 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Well there we differ.
Show some proof and I'll back down, please place your cards on the table, because as a Super Moderator you are talking rubbish!

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 26-12-10 at 11:04 PM.
Old 26-12-10, 11:05 PM

Gentlemen, the question was not wether, but why.
I might as well broaden the question to: Why are some badges maker marked and others unmarked?

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 26-12-10, 11:25 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Gentlemen, the question was not wether, but why.
I might as well broaden the question to: Why are some badges maker marked and others unmarked?

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Out of my many thousands of cap badges, I would say that less than 10% are maker marked!

Maker marked badges from WW1 are scarce and the odd Lambourne, Smith & Wright and Woodward examples are definately NOT common!

Between the wars there seems to be some fairly scarce F.N. examples!

OSD Maker Marked badges are easier to find than ORs badges! The only late 40s & 50s badges are the newer patterns e.g, the smaller pattern Infantry badges! From my experience the only Maker Marked post WW2 badges are scarce Cavalry and Yeomanry badges with the odd Corps. M.M.'ed pre anodised badges are definately not common, I would love to see examples of the 60 odd Infantry badges alone post WW2 that appear with Maker Marked Sliders!

I feel that anodised badges are marked because that was stipulated and the pre anodised practice of Marking the sliders was the the manufacturers attempt to market their product! Proof to the contrary would be very welcomed!

Andy
Old 26-12-10, 11:38 PM

Hi Andy,

It was a specification that A/A badges were to be marked and this went back to 1950. While most good badges with sliders were marked those with lugs seldom were.

Those iffy unmarked items from the late 1980's were seldom marked though as I'm sure that the publicity was not required.

Mind you that did not prevent naughty original commissioners putting dodgy Firmin and Timings markings on modern LB&B type slider attired badges that sold on eBay for big money last week...

Regards

Chris
Old 26-12-10, 11:40 PM

A theory I once picked up was that the dies were WO/MoD owned, hence no markings. Oficer badges were private purchase, hence maker marks.
A/A badges are indeed stipulated, perhaps the dies were then maker owned?
Were perhaps pre-A/A maker marked badges subcontracted? Hence no WO/MoD die ownership?

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 27-12-10, 12:10 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Andy,

It was a specification that A/A badges were to be marked and this went back to 1950. While most good badges with sliders were marked those with lugs seldom were.

Those iffy unmarked items from the late 1980's were seldom marked though as I'm sure that the publicity was not required.

Mind you that did not prevent naughty original commissioners putting dodgy Firmin and Timings markings on modern LB&B type slider attired badges that sold on eBay for big money last week...

Regards

Chris
Chris,

Wow! What a theory.... then any old Joe could go out and publish a wonky old book on dubious badges listing examples that were never ever officially produced and then have them made, add wrong makers marks or just leave them blank!!! Starting a trend to collect Mickey Mouse badges which people would be willing to pay a lot of money for!

What sort of Waster would do such a thing?

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 27-12-10 at 01:29 PM.
Old 27-12-10, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Chris,

Wow! What a theory.... then any old Joe could go out and publish a wonky old book on dubious badges listing examples that were never ever officially produced and then have them made, add wrong makers marks or just leave them blank!!! Starting a trend to collect Mickey Mouse badges which people would be willing to pay a lot of money for!

What sort of Wankr would do such a thing?

Andy
Well you can Andy but you will always get caught out...

I suppose it all depends on how one values one's reputation.

Regards

Chris