British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-11-15, 11:48 AM

Default 21st Lancers type one badge

I noticed CT auctions had a early 21st Lancer collar and cap badge in the auction and they went for around £320. I looked at them with my limited knowledge I did not like the construction it almost looked moulded with pitting to the rear and quiet fresh braise markings. I also noted that the left hand corner of the crown was missing.
Now Clansfield has the same type of badge with the same bit missing on the crown ?. The Clansfield one on the reverse is how you would expect a badge to be with nice sweat holes and looking crisp and a nice patina and no fresh looking marks. I would post pictures but I don't want to breech any copy rights. Would 21st lancer type one badges back in the day be moulded?

Mac
Old 11-11-15, 04:56 PM
Former Member

Mac,
This one!

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...b-a539015bf9c4

Andy
Old 11-11-15, 05:08 PM
Former Member

Mac,
In my opinion it is either a very poorly made original? Or a worryingly good reproduction?

I'm not a fan of the collar next to it and I'm sure if you compare it to the pair you have you'll probably agree?

Victorian and Edwardian period manufactured cap badges normally ooze quality, like the one shown in this thread (post #13)

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hlight=Lancers

The one that sold yesterday certainly oozes something, I'm just glad odours are not yet part and parcel of the WWW!

It just lacks detail, in particular the jewels and pearls. The numerals are too poorly finished and now that I've seen two of these, I would discount the missing pearls to the upper edge of the crown and being damage?

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 11-11-15 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-11-15, 11:37 PM

Default yes

yes that's them it looks a bit jellyfish too.
Old 12-11-15, 06:32 PM

Here's one with the same flaw but at least you can see holes at the back.
I am after one but its got to be in good condition for the money.
Malc

http://www.clanfieldmilitaria.com/vi...h=51932&phqu=2

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 13-11-15, 07:18 AM

Default 21st Lancer type one

Malc that's the one I mentioned in my thread that ticked the right construction box.
Just puzzling that the one at auction had the same miss strike but not the same at the rear. As Andy said could be so wrong might be right and in some cases its hard to tell. I would not have spent with commission £400 on it. Even my filler looks better than that.

Rgs Mac
Old 13-11-15, 07:26 AM

Hello Mac,
I don't like either, the collar, in particular, however, I suspect the badge to be original, although, I certainly would not even consider buying it, at any price.
Pay the money and only buy something you are happy with.
Regards Frank
Old 13-11-15, 07:37 AM

After another very brief glance at the link shown by Andy, regarding the collar, I have to say whilst I don't like the reverse, you can see that it's appearance has been altered by the addition of the pieces of wire on the lance, any patina it may have once had has now gone.
Notwithstanding, I certainly don't like either!
Old 13-11-15, 07:53 PM

Default 21st Lancer type one

Thanks Frank I have to agree I don't like either

Mac