British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-10-15, 07:36 PM

Default KDG?

Hi, I picked this up today and was curious as to who would wear this badge? It appears to be an officer's collar with a slider added. I've shown it next to an officer's cap badge to show it's size, thanks in advance, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02354.jpg (57.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 05-10-15, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnaught View Post
Hi, I picked this up today and was curious as to who would wear this badge? It appears to be an officer's collar with a slider added. I've shown it next to an officer's cap badge to show it's size, thanks in advance, Mike
Mike

As you say it appears to be a KDG collar dog with a slider fixing, is it silver? as I think it should be if Officers? I'd be grateful for a view of the reverse please.

I think O/Rs wore a collar on the curtain of their coloured field cap in India pre WWII?

Cheers
Rob

The older I get ................the better I was !
Old 05-10-15, 09:33 AM

Hi Rob, yes it looks like cast silver, I'll take a pic later. The difference in size between cap badges, O/R collars and officers' collars is so small as it is only when you put them side by side that it becomes apparent. I think it would be very difficult to tell from any distance if they were wearing a cap or a collar. The officers' collar is just noticeable smaller, hence the reason I spotted it and bought it. When I said it was an officers' collar, it may be a cast copy with slider added as the whole has been plated. Thanks Mike
Old 05-10-15, 02:56 PM

Hi, here are more images, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02363.jpg (28.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02362.jpg (30.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02361.jpg (30.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 06-10-15, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Hi Rob, yes it looks like cast silver, I'll take a pic later. The difference in size between cap badges, O/R collars and officers' collars is so small as it is only when you put them side by side that it becomes apparent. I think it would be very difficult to tell from any distance if they were wearing a cap or a collar. The officers' collar is just noticeable smaller, hence the reason I spotted it and bought it. When I said it was an officers' collar, it may be a cast copy with slider added as the whole has been plated. Thanks Mike
Hello Mike

I would advise caution here as looks can be deceiving, the only way to be sure in this instance IMO is to test it for silver.
Is there any evidence of plating? usually there are remnants somewhere on a badge that once was.

I am aware of the size differentials between KDG cap & collars, I would add they also differ slightly in design.

The fact your badge is cast would suggest overseas manufacture to me, as you say a copy, but whether its a copy of an officers or O/R's collar may be difficult to assess due to the marginal difference in sizes, as again you have pointed out. So what are the dimension of your badge?

There is no doubt this is an interesting item it would be nice to have the who, when and where questions answered.
At present I favour O/R's FSC badge India Pre WWII. But we'll see

Regards
Rob

Old 06-10-15, 08:47 AM

Hi Rob, it is 32mm by 27mm, the reason I thought it was plated is because the slider is silvered, best wishes Mike
Old 06-10-15, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Hi Rob, it is 32mm by 27mm, the reason I thought it was plated is because the slider is silvered, best wishes Mike
Hi Mike

The slider is gm silver plated? that is not apparent/clear to me in your images, never mind.

The dimensions make it smaller than both Officers & O/R's which you would expect with the casting process. The problem is its impossible to quantify the difference in size, as further investigations have revealed O/R's Collars of almost identical size to Officers ones. I don't think you can be sure which your badge was copied from.

Regardless of whether silver plated or wm the slider fixing to me indicates O/R's even if 'in theatre made' (could be a senior NCO's item?)a part from that I don't think I can add anymore to what I have already said.

The chap you maybe should run this past is 'Cardiffbloke' he is quite an authority on this regiment, but not often on the forum these days. Might be worth sending him a pm or email?

One last thought, I wonder if it could be later, converted for a beret badge WWII?

Let me know how you get on.

Good luck
Rob

Last edited by Robthereiver; 08-10-15 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-10-15, 11:08 AM

Hi Rob, that would be my hope as I only collect armoured bits. The only problem is most M E cast I've seen have typical M E lugs or half a split pin for a slider. Hey Ho the joy of collecting, thanks for your time and imput. I'll try and ring Howard later but he'll be full of Welsh rugby for the time being. Best wishes Mike
Old 08-10-15, 06:29 AM

To the brim, without a doubt!