British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-01-19, 10:23 AM

Default eBay listing

Since moving to Australia from the UK I've not tried selling bits on eBay. I tried today and wondered if anyone can tell me where I'm going wrong.

a) I'm registered in the UK on eBay.co.uk but cannot use this to list as the only postage option is using Royal Mail.

b) I listed on eBay.co.au including selling to countries abroad instead (even though it means listing in AUD whereas my PayPal account is GB pounds)

c) Why is it that not all of my listings are appearing on UK listings, but do appear on the US site? As I believe my main market will be in the UK this isn't much good to me.

Stephen.
Old 04-01-19, 11:04 AM

hi steve
yeah ebay is frustrating at times.
1, i would just use your UK registration even if all details are in gbp and UK post. it all works out in the end

2,paypal will convert so don't stress about that (although the conversion rate they use will kill you)

3, they should eventually show up across all countries as long as you have listed to sell worldwide. they don't all appear on all international sites immediately

good luck
bc
Old 04-01-19, 11:14 AM

Hi Stephen,

When I first moved to the US from the UK about 14 years ago, I had similar issues. I continued to use my UK ebay account but after a while it got a little challenging as potential buyers would think it was some kind of scam. There concerns were the item for sale was showing in the UK but I was in another country. I know it frightened potential nervous buyers aways and I would always end up having to explain, so I ended up just loosing all my positive feedback and starting from scratch again with a US account.

Aside from that I don't recall any other issues. Although it was over a decade ago.

Hope that helps mate and good luck.

Cheers,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 05-01-19, 12:13 AM

Default eBay

Thanks for replies. It seems so much impler just to throw it all in a carton and send to an auction house- the fees won't be much worse!

Stephen.
Old 05-01-19, 06:23 AM

Stephen,

I sell on eBay UK although based in New Zealand.

The trick is to set up a raft of 'Delivery Details' which need to include International Shipping. I assume that eBay know you are in Australia cos' if not they probably assume you are in UK hence Royal Mail only.

Within 'Delivery Details' is:

Payment Policy
Delivery Policy
Returns Policy
etc.

In Payment Policy you enter PayPal or the like,
Returns has e.g. 14 days etc.
Delivery Policy has postage types and rates and who you wont ship to.

e.g.

Domestic postage
Flat: same cost to all buyers
Services
Economy Delivery from outside UK (10 to 22 working days) - £ 3.95 ; Each additional : £ 0.00
Dispatch time : 2 working days
International postage
Flat: same cost to all buyers
Post to : Worldwide ; Service : Standard Int'l Postage - £ 3.95 ; £ 3.95
Exclude postage locations
Excluded locations :

Note, even though I only charge 3.95GBP (and still have people in UK moaning about cost - get a life) the true rate for a small package to UK is around 7.50GBP. So, after eBay and PayPal and true rate of postage is taken into account it is not worth selling small priced items unless packaged up into a group.

Hope this helps!

Chris
Old 05-01-19, 12:05 PM

Default eBay

Thanks Chris,

I'll probably dump the whole lot in a bin!

Stephen.
Old 09-01-19, 07:44 AM

Default eBay

Still confused.

I have a WLA Timber Corps and a gilt GvR RE officer's badge listed internationally but they still don't appear on UK listings!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/202555538288

Stephen.
Old 24-01-19, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
c) Why is it that not all of my listings are appearing on UK listings, but do appear on the US site? As I believe my main market will be in the UK this isn't much good to me.
Stephen if you list your item in a (sub)category on ebay.com.au that does not exist on ebay.com your items may not show.