British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-01-21, 11:48 PM

Default 40th Canadian Field Artillery

Help Please:- Can any learned collector of Canadian Artillery badges advise me on which hat badge I should put this with? As all of the generic “Gun” badges seem to have various Grenades as collars and some others in Charlton’s catalogue have versions of the Canadian style “B” or “C” as collars. My issue of “Charltons is 1st. Edition. Is there a later edition which shows any info on the 40th C.F.A.? The badge has a mounted wheel and is 45mm wide X 23mm high. With two lugs, one at trail end and one at sponge handle. The bottom scroll is attached with small lugs at five points of contact with the “Field” Never seen a left facing one or another as this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6BE53513-B565-4B43-9874-5292A57DE077.jpg (46.7 KB, 37 views)
Old 06-01-21, 12:56 PM

Default Cox's 'Military Badges'

An interesting badge, but as noted by Cox when he printed his book of badges, he was originally 'taken in' by a good number of Canadian Artillery badges, such that he ended up producing an 'Errata' to his work.

I have attached the 4-page 'Errata' so you can decide for yourself about the legitimacy of this badge.

Others far more knowledgeable than I may be better placed to shed some additional light on this subject. However, hopefully this adds to the knowledge base of the Group.

Lovat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan_20210106.jpg (81.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Scan_20210106 (2).jpg (56.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Scan_20210106 (3).jpg (60.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Scan_20210106 (4).jpg (95.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-01-21, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

A couple of thoughts. The construction would suggest an arm badge rather than a cap badge. Second, it may be for a militia battery. (eg not First WW).
Old 06-01-21, 06:10 PM

Hello Lovat, Thank you for alerting me to “Cox’s” book. My octogenarian brain had completely forgotten to consult my copy, including the Errata pages! Thank you also for including those errata pages for any members who may not have had them.
I think, the badge is now more of a mystery as well as in your words, interesting.
An update on my thoughts is (1) It is not a sweetheart badge.
(2) Tracking back about 16 years, one individual has mentioned three others to be in existence, (all right facing). (3) Another person has suggested 40th Bty may under O.C.s support (financially) allowed personell to wear such badge on right collar and standard small grenade on left collar. (I think that’s stretching it a bit!)
(4) If it was made to deceive, why when searching, does it not show up on any auction site? (OOPS, now watch them coming from all directions!) Finally, a correction on my description in first post. The bottom scroll is attached by five “Tabs”, not Lugs. I hope other members might weigh in with their suggestions. Best regards, David J.
Old 06-01-21, 06:14 PM

Thank you Bill, just saw your post, I’m thinking it’s too small for an arm badge, see first post. Regards, D.J.
Old 06-01-21, 11:23 PM

Appears to be a collar, very unusual. Would there be a special uniform such as a patrol dress or mess dress this could have been used.

Mike
Old 06-01-21, 11:44 PM

Mike, that thought occurred to me but as it has lugs, I couldn’t see someone putting holes in a patrol or other jacket. The size certainly lends itself to that idea though. Regards, David J. Keep the ideas coming people.
Old 07-01-21, 12:09 AM

Hello David,

One of these did turn up on ebay many years ago and I saved photos of it. Identical in construction to yours.

The gun appears identical, except that it faces right, to the small metal badge used on the pre 1902 RA and Canadian Artillery officer's full dress embroidered pouch. This was however a left facing gun.

I have no suggestion as to how it was worn.

Keith