British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-01-21, 08:15 PM

Default Couple of Badges For ID Please (Polish Navy, Ceylon + Others)

Hello All

I have just received a group of badges I bought but there are a couple I can't identify and a couple of Polish ones that I doubt the authenticity of. Does anyone know what the badges shown below are please and if the Polish ones are authentic or common fakes. I am guessing the Ceylon badge is a collar badge as it is approx 23mm tall. These badges are not what I would usually collect so I will be moving them on once identified so if anyone is interested then please let me know before I list them.

As usual many thanks in advance.

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8903.jpg (62.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8904.jpg (63.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8973.jpg (52.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8974.jpg (49.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8975.jpg (28.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8978.jpg (60.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8979.jpg (64.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8976.jpg (52.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8977.jpg (54.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8980.jpg (64.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8981.jpg (59.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 12-01-21, 10:59 AM

Hello All

For Info I have just found out that the first badge I pictured above is for the 4th Devon Volunteers, they were formed in Ilfracombe in 1860 and disappeared from the army list 1872. Ref for info Westlake RVs p35. (Information was found on Minden Militaria website).

Paddy
Old 12-01-21, 02:11 PM

"Ceylon Defence Force (CDF) was established in 1910 [and replaced] Ceylon Volunteer Force (CVF) that existed previously as the military reserve in the British Crown colony of Ceylon. At the time of forming it was only a reserve force but soon developed into a regular force responsible for the defence of Ceylon" [Wikipedia] It was disbanded in April, 1949

The CDF inckuded such units as they Tea Planters Rifle Corp and Ceylon Light Horse, who probably kept their own badges. In WWI it was used to supply men to units outside the colony. In WWII it garrisoned the Coco Islands and was used in Ceylon 'in aid of the civil powers.' The two crossed swords and elephants was adopted by the Ceylonese Army after independence. I suspect this one would have been worn by staff officers and perhaps 'unattached officers' in the 1900-1930s period and probably by evefybody after that. But those are guesses.
Old 12-01-21, 05:09 PM

The cross badge is the 2nd Polish Armoured regiment which trained in Scotland.i believe the badge was locally made in Scotland. The other two eagles are other ranks badges for the polish Navy and Army in exile.
Old 12-01-21, 09:26 PM

Peter

Many thanks for the information, I have done a few searches for the badge but come up with very little as there doesn't seem to be many of them around.

Mac - Many thanks for the information, after about an hour on google I was coming to that conclusion as well but could not find the exact badge. Using the info you gave I did manage to find a patch with that exact symbol but it appears the unit changed it's name a couple of times in a short period. I have still been unable to find the exact metal badge in any google search so there can't be many around.

Paddy