British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Police

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-06-15, 12:53 PM

Default South African Police Cap, Helmet or other badge, please?

Hi all,

I have just bought a badge, it measures 80x65 mm, has three lugs on the back (N, E, W) and is GM, not gilt. It has the "Suid Afrikaanse Polisie" spelling. It is has a KC. Solid centre, no voiding except in the crown.

Sorry I can't upload photos at present as for some reason my broadband won't upload images etc.

Is it a cap or a helmet badge, please?

Thanks,

Phil
Old 04-06-15, 01:20 PM

Hi Phil

That sounds like a helmet badge.

Just out of interest, is the Afrikaans spelling "Polisie" (correct Afrikaans) or "Poliesie" (the incorrect spelling that was also issued)?

Regards
Craig
Old 04-06-15, 05:41 PM

Hi craigen, thanks for answering, yes it is the correct spelling "polisie". I have another badge on the way which is spelt "Suid Afrikaanse Poliesie" but that one is, according to the seller, 104x90mm.

This is what made me wonder what the 80x65 is. Seems large for a cap badge but why would there be two sizes of helmet badge so different?
Old 04-06-15, 06:07 PM

I seem to be able to upload images now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SA Polisie 80x65.jpg (67.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg SA Polisie 80x65 r.jpg (97.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg SA Poliesie badge 104x90.JPG (63.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SA Poliesie badge 104x90 r.JPG (65.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-06-15, 05:11 AM

There were definitely 2 sizes of helmet badge , a cap badge, a collar badge and a badge worn on a cross belt, so 5 sizes in all. The cap badge size was also worn on a pouch. The cap and collars also came in voided. There is 3 different spellings. The first is with a Z and then the 2 spellings of polisie. I was led to believe that the spellings were both correct for the respective periods. Regards Andrew
Old 05-06-15, 08:54 AM

Hi Andrew, thanks for that I will put it down as having two of the helmet badges. I have also seen one spelt "politie".

I have 3 different examples of SA police cap badges with no crown too.
Old 05-06-15, 11:53 AM

Hi Phil, the politie is the one that starts with a Z. Regards Andrew
Old 05-06-15, 09:25 PM

I have a 10 cm (11.2 following the curve of the badge) tall plate, yellow metal with the yellow "gilt" look of unpolished metal, "S" &"POLIESIE" spelling, N/W/E lugs, oval "GAUNT LONDON" plate on the reverse, crown only voided.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 05-06-15 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-06-15, 02:01 PM

I have now acquired, from the same source, these two cap? badges. They measure 47x38mm.

Old 07-06-15, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
I have a 10 cm (11.2 following the curve of the badge) tall plate, yellow metal with the yellow "gilt" look of unpolished metal, "S" &"POLIESIE" spelling, N/W/E lugs, oval "GAUNT LONDON" plate on the reverse, crown only voided.
Hi Leigh,

That sounds like a mint example of the second badge, I showed in post #4
Old 07-06-15, 03:25 PM

Yes, looks like it, other than mine having the Gaunt plate.
I may be imagining it but I think there are minute differences between the two badges, the angle of the horns on the left springbok as viewed. and the tiny "+'s" on the name circlet.
If they are from different dies then it is an indication that the "Poliesie" spelling was no mistake.
Poor quality photos I'm afraid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150607_163703193~2.jpg (31.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150607_163634478~2.jpg (36.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150607_163634478~2~2.jpg (48.6 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 07-06-15 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-06-15, 04:00 PM

Heres a cap badge with the same Poliesie spelling.

It does seem it wasn't a mistake.
Old 07-06-15, 05:00 PM

Hi Phil and Leigh

The badges were, without question, deliberately made with the "Poliesie" spelling and officially worn as such. What has been questioned in various circles is whether or not that was the official Afrikaans spelling of the Police Force's name at some time.

I have just received confirmation from a reliable source that there was indeed a period when the official spelling was "Poliesie", as Andrew also mentioned, so I stand corrected and am happy to have learned something.

For those interested in such trivia, this question seems to have arisen largely because "Poliesie" does not follow the general spelling "rules" for old Dutch words in Afrikaans, which the "Polisie" spelling does, and also because official references the "Poliesie" spelling do not seem to be easily found.

Regards
Craig
Old 07-06-15, 06:23 PM

Understood, thanks An administration error, not a manufacturer's error Appreciate the clarification.

Cheers
Old 07-06-15, 06:33 PM

Thought I could share some information on the cap/helmet badges of the SAP

I got the information from a friend some time back who had a copy of a document on the badges and uniforms of the South African Police put together in 1974 by a warrant officer in the SAP who I believe worked at the Police museum in Pretoria.

Some general information:

1. The SAP badge consited of an eight point star enclosing a circle and surmounted by a tudor crown forming the eighth point.Within the circle is the union coat of arms. The upper portion of the circle holds the words "South African Police" and the lower portion the words "Zuid Afrikaanse Politie".
2. The wording on the lower portion was changed to "Suid Afrikaanse Poliesie" in 1922 and badges with the new words issued from 1926.
3. The wording on the lower portion was changed again to "Suid Afrikaanse Polisie" in 1932.
4. The tudor crown was removed in 1957 and replaced with an eighth point to the star. The wording on the circle was also switched around having "Suid Afrikaanse Polisie" above and South African Police" below.
5. Officers and warrant officers wore voided badges
6. Non commisioned officers and constables wore non voided badges.
7. European staff wore gilt or gilding metal badges and non European staff wore white metal badges.
8. A gold bullion badge was created in 1938 for wear by Lt.Col and higher ranks. In 1957 the tudor crown was replaced with a star as for the metal badges.
9. A gilt enamelled badge replaced the bullion badge in 1971. This was also worn by majors and up from 1977.

The following sizes of this badge were:
1. 102mm - worn on blue cloth helmet 1913 - 1948 by nco's and constables of the foot branch.
2. 76mm - worn on blue cloth helmet 1948 - 1954(until 1954 when helmets were abolished) by nco's and constables of the foot branch, and on saddlery breastplate by mounted branch.
3. 64mm - worn on the crossbelt and saddlery breastplate by officers and warrant officers 1913 - 1954
4. 45mm - worn from 1913 on caps and helmets (until 1954 when helmets were abolished) by officers and warrant officers
- worn from 1913 on caps, helmets by mounted branch (until 1954) by nco's and constables
5. 32mm - worn on collars by officers from 1913 and by warrant officers from 1932 and by nco's and constables from 1952

Steven

Last edited by Milmed; 07-06-15 at 06:40 PM.