British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-12-13, 09:53 PM

Default CLOTH PATCH - Signals?

Can anyone identify this cloth patch please
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Signals patch.jpg (83.6 KB, 107 views)
Old 17-12-13, 10:09 PM

Default Cloth patches

This badge features in Edwards & Langley- item 104a. It appears to be of WW2 origin but no authority has been found for it being worn by the Army. The design may have originated in the RAF.

Elsewhere I vaguely remember it being suggested that the clenched mailed fist linked it to RAC signallers.

I'm sure Grumpy will let us know all in due course.
Stephen.
Old 17-12-13, 11:15 PM

Looks like telecoms engineer, but I think I've also saw a division patch like this
Old 18-12-13, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
This badge features in Edwards & Langley- item 104a. It appears to be of WW2 origin but no authority has been found for it being worn by the Army. The design may have originated in the RAF.

Elsewhere I vaguely remember it being suggested that the clenched mailed fist linked it to RAC signallers.

I'm sure Grumpy will let us know all in due course.
Stephen.
It's a very distinctive style of manufacture seen on a few signs of the c 1942 period - the backing material looking like the fabric used for a Shirt K.F. Mike
Old 18-12-13, 07:35 AM

While I dont know what this is, I will say though that I have done a huge amount of research into the trade paches of Royal Signals, and I doubt it is a Royal Signals item. It looks like a hand made operator type patch perhaps of the 1940s or early 1950s. It may be an unofficial Royal Artillery Signals Wireless Operator trade patch. Thats my best guess. Second best it may be a
RAF signals trade patch on khaki uniform in the Middle East. There is a clue in the shape at the bottom where the corners are cut off. Some WW1 Australian signal flag patches had their corners cut off on all four corners. Perhaps it is not British. It does not look Dutch or Belgian to me but I have only seen a few of their signal trade patches. Edwards & Langley in their 1984 British Army Proficiency Badges on page 93 show a similar badge which they state was worn in WW2 and discontinued after the War. All those I have seen, and it has been quite a number, have been worn in the 1950s. All have white lightning bolts. Operator Wireless & Line White fist, Operator Wireless & Keyboard Red first and Royal Signals Infantry Operators Brown Fist. Please note about the sister trade badge which has the circle and the lightning bolt was worn by both operators and technicians in signals during WW2 and in the late 1940s. However the fist was used by operators in the 1950s. (cipher operators had the circle and lightnings in the 1960s for the B2 trade). The technical trades in Royal Signals trades wore the circle and lightnings in the 1950s.
I hope my ramblings are not too confusing. The information is based on about 20 different people corresponding with me by letter and email on this subject and my own experience. Hopefully someone can come up with a definitive answer.
Quicksilver
Old 18-12-13, 08:42 AM

"There is a clue in the shape at the bottom where the corners are cut off. Some WW1 Australian signal flag patches had their corners cut off on all four corners"

Reference the badge illustrated at the head of this thread - Could this have been done to accomodate rank chevrons worn below the badge?
Mike
Old 18-12-13, 08:58 AM

This is an early Radio Operator's badge as used by SAAF (South African Air Force) while in training. I attach a picture of my uncle taken c. 1940 wearing the badge on his right upper sleeve (you can just make out the ends of the lighting bolts). Soon after this he was issued with the regular RO brevet and then stopped wearing the sleeve badge.

This was also used by SAWAAF (SA Womans Auxilliary Air Force) radio operators.

Steven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V Harper.jpg (30.9 KB, 67 views)
Old 18-12-13, 10:01 PM

Default CLOTH PATCH - Signals?

Thank you gentlemen - all helpful information
Old 06-07-18, 05:45 PM

Default The Royal Signals Sparks Badge

Sorry to have come in so late but X trade Radio Technicians were still
wearing the sparks badge in the 60s (Yes I was one of these)

There is a difference though, no fist like the RAF version but a red
circle where the fist would be. Like the RAF it allowed lower ranks
to speak directly to an officer to deliver messages.
The REME had radio techs too so maybe also used the Sparks Badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sparks.jpg (15.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 07-07-18, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack768 View Post
Sorry to have come in so late but X trade Radio Technicians were still
wearing the sparks badge in the 60s (Yes I was one of these)

There is a difference though, no fist like the RAF version but a red
circle where the fist would be. Like the RAF it allowed lower ranks
to speak directly to an officer to deliver messages.
The REME had radio techs too so maybe also used the Sparks Badge.
Jack,

The Army had many versions of the Circle and Sparks and also the Fist and Sparks badges.

Their use is complex and included numerous trades, including Armament artificers (wireless), Wireless Mechanics, Armament Artificers (radio), Radio mechanics (radio location), Radio mechanic, line mechanic, telegraphic mechanic, operator fire control, telecommunications technician, line technician, operators (fire control), Operators (keyboard and line), Operators (wireless & Keyboard) and also Infantry Signallers with the above skills.

Here are my versions of mainly Army.

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CircleFlashes1.jpg (67.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg CircleFlashes2.jpg (54.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg FistFlashes1.jpg (56.7 KB, 20 views)

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 08-02-21, 02:02 PM

Default Lightning bolt emblem

Hi folks. My father was also in the Royal Signals but based in Burma and India during WWII. He wore a black patch with a horizontal white lightning bolt on his left arm. Has anybody ever seen this badge before and know what it signifies?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20200229-WA0005-1.jpg (21.3 KB, 12 views)