British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-07-09, 03:24 PM

Default 5th (Hackney) Bn, Royal Berks Regt

Hi Gents,

Hope you can help with a query. In my efforts to collect insignia to Berkshire’s military units, I have hit a minor stumbling block as far as my limited knowledge goes.

In 1937 the 10Th London Regiment (Hackney) became the 5th Battalion, The Royal Berkshire Regiment, until 1946 when the unit was dissolved (for the want of a better word).

Now my query is this, during this period would they have been “badged” (i.e. badge/collars/titles/buttons etc.) as Royal Berkshires or would they have kept their ‘old’ 10th Hackney insignia. I assume that for a period after the initial swap-over in 1937 they would have kept their existing Hackney insignia, until they were issued with the new insignia, but what was the official line?

My problem is do I include the Hackney insignia as it was in 1937 or was the official line that they were now Berkshires and badged accordingly. There is enough Berkshire stuff to collect without having to worry about 'non' official badges that may/may not have been worn - if you get my drift.

Many thanks for any help.

Ian
Old 01-07-09, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Ian,

Somewhere I have a 1941 pamphlet that shows cap badges in use at the time and the Hackneys are shown with the Berkshires badge.

Alan
Old 01-07-09, 07:07 PM

Default R Berks Regt

Of course, if you really wish to muddy the water, Hackney was recruited by the Essex Regt TF and administered by Essex TAFA until after WW2! Add on the fact that the Home Guard were administered by the City of London TAFA and affiliated to the Royal Fusileers.

Regards, Stephen.
Old 01-07-09, 08:06 PM

Hi Alan and Stephen,

Many thanks for your replies. I think then, I am probably safe in assuming that I don't need to include any 'Hackney' insignia on my Berkshire badge boards.

Excellent work, thanks again gents.

Ian