British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-04-21, 04:00 PM

Default Planning your next holiday?

Planning your next holiday? Do you want blue skies, turquoise seas, golden sandy beaches, lovely mediterranean cuisine and plenty of cultural sites and museums? Then why not visit MALTA, "the unsinkable aircraft carrier", "the thorn on Rommel's side", "the nurse of the Mediterranean" just to name a few!

No I'm not employed by the Maltese Tourism Authority. Seems that as from June, Malta will be opening it's doors to tourism once again. With COVID cases dwindling here on the island, the government decided, as of now, to welcome tourism albeit with certain restrictions. As much as i'm unsure of this decision, as we have already been bitten last year, I'm looking forward to some kind of "normality".

Here are some places of interest you might want to google before planning your holiday:

Malta At War Museum in Birgu,
Malta War Museum at Fort St.Elmo,
Malta Maritime Museum in Birgu,
Malta Aviation Museum in Ta'Qali,
Fort Rinella Gun Battery in Kalkara,
Lascaris War Rooms.
Besides countless fortification and watchtowers build by the Knights of St.John.

Old 28-04-21, 04:27 PM

Malta is definitely a destination for the military enthusiast. I visited four of the places of interest on the list back in 2014, must return for the Maritime and Aviation Museums.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Malta Military (27).jpg (56.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Malta Military (59).jpg (50.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Malta Military (86).jpg (73.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 28-04-21, 04:28 PM

I am sure I was told that there was/is a Kings Liverpool Regiment officers tunic on display in a house on the Island that is open to the public. The officer was the Adjutant of one of the Liverpool Volunteer Battalions and his family had houses on Malta and in Liverpool.

Does it ring any bells ?

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 28-04-21, 05:03 PM

Tim that's one more than me!! Shame on me! Planning to hit all by end of year. You could have created a new fashion for the RMFA. I'm sure they would have loved to wear shorts in summer.

Peter i'm not aware of the Liverpool Battalion tunic. I'm sure you're right however. You find gems in every public museum here. It might not be militaria but some piece of silver, glassware, pottery or art. So many British and Commonwealth battalions called Malta home, so I do believe there's so much in private homes too. I've seen some astonishing pieces of militaria in private collections that museums would droll!

Being in the centre of the Med we have had all kinds of "visitors" here, Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Romans, Arabs, The Knight's of St.John, French, and British, so you can imagine. But I will keep me eyes open for your tunic.

Vincent
Old 28-04-21, 06:49 PM

I haven't a clue if there's anything 'military' but can recommend a visit to Mdina 'The Silent City' ... beautiful place and usually peaceful. Mosta Dome has/had a replica of the bomb dropped by Axis forces during WW2 on show. Enjoy.
Old 28-04-21, 07:12 PM

Thanks Vincent.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 28-04-21, 08:23 PM

Beautiful place, not been there since 1973. Was invited to the annual Malta Dog Shoot.
Old 28-04-21, 09:02 PM

Cool Restaurant in Valetta

We went to a restaurant in Valetta, in a square with cannons, the place was full of frames of badges on the walls, I had a chat with the owner who said it was his collection or part of it.

This was in 1994, I wonder if it is still there?

Rob
Old 29-04-21, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunray9 View Post
I haven't a clue if there's anything 'military' but can recommend a visit to Mdina 'The Silent City' ... beautiful place and usually peaceful. Mosta Dome has/had a replica of the bomb dropped by Axis forces during WW2 on show. Enjoy.
Both lovely places to visit Sunray9. As for the Annual Dog Shoot, Jim you had me in tears lol. Don't know much about it since I was born that year, but i could only imagine....

Rob the place you mention could be Malata Rest. in front of the Grandmaster's Palace. The square in front (St.George's Square) was used for parades and it's where the George Cross was presented to the Nation. And very convenient the back road is the infamous Strait Street, for those who served here need no introduction

Vincent
Old 30-04-21, 06:31 AM

I think the The Kings Liverpool Regt Officers tunic purported to be on display in a private house refers to the stately home of the Marquis De Piro (Casa Rocca Piccola) in Valletta. Incidentally, The Marquis's ancestor joined that regiment and fought in the Boer War. Googling this info would be of help in this matter.

GTB
Old 30-04-21, 08:29 AM

Thanks GTB,

That might well be the location, I am making some further enquiries.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EA8FD027-F3F1-45FE-8E7E-9AA3E03B11AC.jpg (65.7 KB, 12 views)

Old 30-04-21, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
I think the The Kings Liverpool Regt Officers tunic purported to be on display in a private house refers to the stately home of the Marquis De Piro (Casa Rocca Piccola) in Valletta. Incidentally, The Marquis's ancestor joined that regiment and fought in the Boer War. Googling this info would be of help in this matter.

GTB
I know of William Parnis England who had joined the Liverpool Regiment as a 2nd Lt. in 1900! The De Piro family came from a long line of military officers but I can not recall any with the Liverpool Regt. I need to dig-in further! As for the location at first I was thinking Palazzo Falson in Mdina! Had a look on Tripadvisor for any photographic evidence at both locations but came up with nothing!!

Last edited by KOMalta; 30-04-21 at 10:21 AM.
Old 30-04-21, 11:16 AM

https://amp.en.google-info.org/index...1/de-piro.html

GTB
Old 30-04-21, 11:47 AM

Thanks KOMalta and GTB,

Fascinating where threads lead.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 42B643CD-E820-4D07-B0DC-D77ED5D8D81E.jpeg (83.4 KB, 11 views)

Old 30-04-21, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Thank you GTB and Peter. So that makes at least two Maltese with the Liverpool Regiment during the Boer War.