British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-07-17, 08:20 PM

Default Aden formation signs - good, bad, or fake?

I bought this pair of Aden formation signs in a job lot on here 3, maybe 4, years ago. Now I want to sell them but see on this thread <http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44283&highlight=formation+sign+ad en> that it is debatable as to whether they were worn. What do other members think of these? Good, bad, fake, fantasy? As always any suggestions or advice will be welcomed, especially as I’d like to avoid problems selling them (or binning, as the case may be).

Thanks for looking

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02July2017 003b.jpg (55.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 02July2017 005b.jpg (72.4 KB, 34 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 05-07-17, 08:30 PM

I only have a black & white version that I take to be a repro - looks like its been printed on a bit of thin handkerchief material.
The symbol was certainly used in printed form black on yellow on items such as Aden Bde. Ops / Incident logs.
In fact, looking at your badges the khaki seems a little patchy, any chance they've been stained with coffee or similar?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img908.jpg (88.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg img910.jpg (91.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg img912.jpg (35.4 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 08-07-17 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Added images.
Old 05-07-17, 08:50 PM

Compare them with these.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...pictureid=3220

Marc
Old 06-07-17, 08:48 PM

Thank you Leigh and Marc, appreciate both your inputs. I had wondered about your suggestion Leigh, re. staining with tea or coffee - part of the reason I decided to check them. Thanks for the photos Marc, I'd say mine are an artificially aged pair of fakes then. Disappointing, but at least I know now.

Thanks again

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 07-07-17, 07:07 AM

I can't say if Aden Brigade formation signs were ever worn in Aden but in the time I was there, they were not worn.
Although it was normal to wear formation signs on KD & OG universally at that time, Aden was an odd one out.
The reason we were given was that the dhobi wallahs in the colony were more energetic (bordering on vicious!) with the dhobi there and the patches had a very short life.
Exceptions were 222 Signal Sqn who wore their Beaufighter patch (may have used press studs) and 24 Inf Brigade who wore the double wing patch as they had done in Kenya prior to moving to Aden.
Old 08-07-17, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
A few more, including Aden Bde.
Somewhere I have a 79th Armoured Div, same sort of flimsy fabric.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img909.jpg (84.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg img911.jpg (116.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-03-21, 10:41 AM

Hi Leigh, Just wondered if you'd had a chance to look at my badge, read with interest about the dhow in black on yellow and noticed the symbol on the paper/card was the same (with the angled mast). Having looked more closely at the corners there is evidence that press studs may have been removed. Look forward to any input, best regards, Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_3077.jpg (56.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_3078.jpg (58.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-03-21, 03:39 PM

I asked a similar question back in 2017
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=59882
Regards
Sean
Old 06-03-21, 02:40 PM

The black and white printed are very adjacent to the style of badge sold by a well-known dealer on the South Coast of England who had thick bundles of badges held together with rubber bands. He never claimed they were genuine, but never avowed them to be fake; they were not expensive, and are now appearing described as "Calico Printers" productions, since the discovery of that trade catalogue on The Antiques Roadshow. They aren't.