British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-02-21, 06:30 PM

Default New Canadian member and long time collector

Glad to join the forum, I have more than 3 martingales and badges so I am a collector of such items. I began collecting bayonets and now British pattern swords for many years. Looking forward to seeing other collectors martingales.
Old 21-02-21, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Hello WillM, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 22-02-21, 06:38 PM

Default Martingale Badges etc

Welcome to the forum WillM.

You have picked an interesting area of collecting. I have a soft spot for martingale badges, bit boss badges and anything military horse furniture related to be honest. Initially I was inspired by a wonderful article in the Soldiers of the Queen publication from the 1980s (I have it somewhere about me but cannot lay my hand on it immediately) but it documented the various bit boss badges worn by the Household Cavalry and the Cavalry of the Line. Some of the ornate ones only being worn by officers, most other ranks being entitled only to a generic pattern. It is not a hard stretch from these to martingale badges!
Cheers
Mike
The Quartermaster)
www.qmsmilitaria.com
Old 25-02-21, 08:08 PM

Thanks Mike, I would be interested in the HHC martingale info. I also collect swords and have a few HHC trooper swords and one 1834p officers.
Old 06-03-21, 10:41 PM

I will try and dig it out next week for you!
Cheers
Mike
Old 08-03-21, 05:34 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Hi WillM

Welcome to the forum and G'day to the 1/4Master as well. Martingales are a great collecting area, I have several including 1 Australian, Pre Federation ie pre 1901, Victorian Colonial Fired Gilt Martingale, its very nice. Also 2 x 17th Lancers (now theres a surprise !!) and a truly beautiful Kings Crown 21st Lancers, and also a Royal Horse Guards harness boss.

The Victorian period ones seem to all have Gulphic crowns and the later ones have a kings crown. I hope that this helps.

Regards

Phil..