British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-05-20, 03:30 AM

Default QC Rander HG Cap Badge

I am wanting to add a post war Huntingdonshire Home Guard cap badge to my collection, but know it's a minefield out there. I found one on Cultman's site that has in large letters on the slider - JR Gaunt B'HAM. Since it seems this is common way of marking anodized aluminum badges in the post war period, would this be a real badge for the time period I am wanting?

https://www.cultmancollectables.com/...rch=home+guard

If not good, how can I tell a real one?

Thanks,

Terry
Old 15-05-20, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
I am wanting to add a post war Huntingdonshire Home Guard cap badge to my collection, but know it's a minefield out there. I found one on Cultman's site that has in large letters on the slider - JR Gaunt B'HAM. Since it seems this is common way of marking anodized aluminum badges in the post war period, would this be a real badge for the time period I am wanting?

https://www.cultmancollectables.com/...rch=home+guard

If not good, how can I tell a real one?

Thanks,

Terry
Hello Terry
Not a good one unfortunately, one thread on the subject here https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...=gaunt+b%92ham

Gerard
Old 15-05-20, 08:19 AM

The other problem with the Huntingdon Home Guard cap badge is that :-
1) It was worn during WW1 by the Huntingdonshire Cyclist Battalion
and
2) It is still worn by Kimbolton School Combined Cadet Force

There is actually no way (to my knowledge) to differentiate one from the other.

Indeed last time I was at Kimbolton School they still had the original die for the Cyclist Cap badge and were using it as a door stop !

PL
Old 15-05-20, 08:47 AM

The earlier Gaunt badges i.e. cyclists have the slider attachment point behind the stags head. The Lambourne made badge is of WW1 manufacture so therefore always Hunts Cyclists.

The later Gaunt ones, which can be found with the good small Gaunt marks contemporary to WW2, have the attachment point behind the the stags body.

These badges have been restruck so much in modern times that my personal opinion would be unless a badge was acquired with provenance it’s far more likely to be a restrike for the collectors market rather than an ‘original’ Kimbolton School badge.
Old 15-05-20, 09:11 AM

Luke

I also happen to know that Kimbolton School have bought repro badges from a seller in Birmingham. These have been issued to and worn by cadets. The question is, are these now genuine badges or still repros ?

PL
Old 15-05-20, 10:52 AM

I would suggest unless it’s a badge actually worn by a member of Kimbolton school or purchased by Kimbolton school for issue the rest of the modern badges from that die are repros. My personal opinion others may disagree as this comes down to collecting preference. As you point out when units buy metal badges for wear from the repro merchants it becomes a grey area.
Old 15-05-20, 01:46 PM

Thank you gentlemen!!! Seems I am not the first to ask about that one. Normally I avoid that large maker mark, but thought just possibly that it might be OK due to it being a post war one.

Have to say just how amazing and helpful everyone here is. I have sadly, learned that far too many of my badges obtained prior to my finding this forum are bogus, but you know the old saying - "Live and learn"!!!

Thank you all!!!

Terry
Old 15-05-20, 03:13 PM

I suspect most of us have been there. I was massively disappointed with my previous collecting efforts as I learned more from this Forum.

If it helps in your search, I believe this to be a genuine Home Guards badge. As Luke has said - slider behind the body and a deep 11mm makers mark.

Do your research before buying, but those that are cheap are likely as not to be complete rubbish.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9766.jpg (39.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9768.jpg (53.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 15-05-20, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

I would agree that is the genuine WW2 badge. The HG badge was unlikely to have been issued so the small Guant mark is correct for a privately purchased badge.
Old 21-05-20, 01:45 PM

I have these two badges no maker Mark's on either
Your opinions please are welcomed good or bad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200521_144012.jpg (101.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20200521_143952.jpg (100.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20200521_143932.jpg (84.4 KB, 7 views)

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.