British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-03-19, 10:42 PM

Default Spot any holes in my collection??

I know nothing about Brit para wings but decided I would collect the coloured ones. Supposedly some are still in use, others not. I was just wondering if you can spot any glaring holes in my collection? I THINK I have them all. I may poke an SAS wing in there eventually. I'm not really that interested in the camo styles other than the DPM camo one shown.

As far as the three singled out ones go, one is on black, one on dark blue, one on Prussian blue. Are the two left ones simply 'variants' of the same RAF badge?

Thanks for any assistance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wings2.jpg (11.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg wings.jpg (59.7 KB, 144 views)
Old 24-03-19, 08:29 AM

You could add the Royal Green Jackets - black and gold on rifle green and the small black on red version for the 2nd KEO Gurkha Rifles.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (60.8 KB, 65 views)
Old 24-03-19, 09:23 AM

Someone will confirm this but the Black could well be Navy (Royal Marines?), the Middle being RAF Regiment and last being RAF Rgt Greatcoat , looks good! all the best billy
Old 24-03-19, 11:34 AM

The black background is most probably Navy/Marines , as Billy said. The centre one is RAF post 1972 pattern. The right hand is not a greatcoat badge as no trade badges are worn on greatcoats, other than bandsmen. The one on the right is the pattern from 1962 (first authorised) and used up until 1972.
Old 24-03-19, 12:21 PM

I agree with Dragon about the two different RAF issues. I have always understood the black blacked wings to be something to do with the Royal Artillery (as identified by Bragg & Turner), but more knowledgeable people on this forum say the RA only use the issue khaki backed wings. Certainly the wings pictured are of modern construction, which rules out the 156 Para Bn and No.2 Commando wings used in WWII, as well as the Indian made version used in WWII.

I don't think they are RN issue, as the Navy currently wear gold and silver bullion wings on their navy blue Dress uniforms and the normal khaki backed ones on MTP. There was a red on black version worn in the older navy blue everyday uniforms (battledress in the 1950s and 60s), to match the other red-on-black insignia worn on those uniforms. There is also a blue on white version worn by the RN in 'tropical whites' and in navy blue working dress.

As to gaps in your collection, I have seen a version with a bright green background, with white chute and blue wings. This was described as being Int Corps but nobody in the Corps has any knowledge of them.

By the way, the black wings on DPM camouflage version is New Zealand issue, rather than British.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UK unknown para wings.jpg (5.6 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Colin S; 24-03-19 at 12:54 PM.
Old 24-03-19, 02:24 PM

Unfortunately sometime in the early 1980's somebody in badge manufacturing, noting the demand for unobtainable regimentally coloured wings decide to fill that gap in the market. I can remember going to the market held at Charing Cross and seeing a couple of traders with cards of technicolour wings. RAF tropical (red on tan) Light Infantry (green on yellow) Cameronians ( black on medium green), the wings in the post above supposedly Rhodesian, the Junior Paras on maroon ( but should be silk woven) all appeared. ALL FAKE.
The originals are usually much higher quality, in some cases made of thick cotton on proper thick felt or as mentioned earlier on different material altogether.
However, one then started seeing actual qualified paras wearing the damm things. Subdued wings weren't issued so enterprising paras would buy their own black on green, green on black or whatever and wear them on their windproofs usually.
Once the rot had set in SAS wings on a variety of colours appeared also. In one of the early Bragg and Turner books I remember that SAS wings were printed on the wrong colour backing (green?). Obviously these were amongst the first to appear!
Regarding the OP's picture many are from this era. Real Junior Para wings are exceptionally rare and once seen never forgotten. They were worn on the sports vest by non para qualified Junior Paras. Regular Paras took exception to this and many pairs were destroyed.
One could just collect Brit Para wings all ones life (as I have). I would certainly add the rather strange RAF wings woven on a tan strip, the Royal Marine wings with VOCAB numbers and later NATO stock numbers undermeath, the Royal Navy also have the same numbers on their issued wings, but they're always cut off before sewing to uniform.
Other patterns of wings are the WW2 made, upswept, downswept or straight SAS wings ( not worn subdued), the relatively new SBS wings ( which are worn subdued) and the even newer Signals Special Forces wings for Army, RAF, RN.
Incidentally the black on green denim wings were worn, together with black on green rank slides and a black stable belt by members of the Para Logs unit when wearing green shirts and lightweights.
I now going for a lie down.

Ian H
Old 24-03-19, 02:30 PM

Here is a couple more
Cheers
Sean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 24-03-19, 02:38 PM

I too have the one on brighter green, but these was described to me as Rhodesian Light Infantry. I would be interested if anyone else thinks it's Intellgence Corps.
Cheers
Sean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (36.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 24-03-19, 03:22 PM

Default Just to clarify.

All good advice guys and thanks. I guess I have no illusions that I have all genuine wings, if any. That's why I never paid much for them. They just look purdy.
Perhaps I'll do a quick rundown to make sure I've got them labelled properly. You can confirm if you would.

Row 1:
RAF Tropical Dress
RN Working whites
RN / R.Marines summer tunic
Light Infantry general issue

Row 2:
4th Royal Australian Regiment (Commando)
British Army general issue
New Zealand DPM
Unofficial DEU private purchase

Row 3:
Possibly RN
RAF Post 1972
RAF Pre 1972

Row 4:
RN / RM No.3 dress
Junior Para Co.
Duke of Wellington's recruiting staff
King's Royal Rifles Corps / 2nd KEO Gurkha's (should be half sized)

Row 5:
Scottish Rifles (Cameronians)
Royal Ulster Rifles / 6,7,10th Gurkhas / Rifle Brig./ Royal Rif. Co.
Light Infantry (obsolete)
Royal Irish Rangers later Royal Irish Rifles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wings.jpg (59.7 KB, 48 views)
Old 24-03-19, 06:00 PM

I agree most of your listings except:

Row 1 - 3 is RM only (for the stone shirt).

Row 2 - first one is NOT Australian Commando (4RAR or 1 or 2 Cdo Regt) as they use a completely different design to the standard British wings. (If you google it you’ll see the difference.)

Row 3 first one is not RN, for the reasons I set out above.

Row 5 - I don’t think the third one is Light Infantry but is a private purchase version of the ‘subdued’ wings popular in the late 1980s.

Hope that helps.
Old 25-03-19, 10:05 AM

Default Coloured parachute wings

Further research confirms the full size black-on-red wings were for the 2nd Bn Royal Green Jackets (the former K.R.RC.) using the red facings of their predecessor unit. The black-on-rifle green version was for the 1st Bn RGJ, using the black facings of their predecessor unit (the Rifle Brigade).

The black-on-Cameronian green was also authorised but many sources suggest that would be the shade used in the first set of wings in the second row, rather than the one in row 5.

Does anyone know which shade is Cameronian green?
Old 25-03-19, 12:17 PM

Unless you have the badges side by side it is hard to tell the difference between Cameronian Green and Rifle Green. The badges in the image are both ex sealed patterns in the Battle Dress size.
Sorry not parachutists badges.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:33 PM.
Old 25-03-19, 03:14 PM

Default Interesting Marc

Talk about your subtle differences. Something for the lads to fight about in the mess no doubt.
Old 25-03-19, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper533 View Post
I too have the one on brighter green, but these was described to me as Rhodesian Light Infantry. I would be interested if anyone else thinks it's Intellgence Corps.
Cheers
Sean
If that's Int Corps, I was improperly dressed for 25 years! Mike
Old 25-03-19, 08:46 PM

Row 2:
4th Royal Australian Regiment (Commando).
That's not correct.