British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-01-11, 04:03 PM

It was '89 - '91. He was at AAC Harrogate now AFC. His unit was Penney Squadron, The Spec ops there were 11 Sigs or 14 Sigs I think.
Old 17-01-11, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

I think these sound like Trg Sqn flashes. Spec ops were in a specific sqn for trade trg. The Sqns wore coloured flashes slipped on their epaullettes to distinguish themselves.

These were removed on leaving trg and were not unit flashes. Once trained Spec ops would have been in 9, 13 or 14 Sigs at that time. The Trg regt in Catterick was 11 Sigs.
Old 17-01-11, 05:13 PM
Mr. Jackanory

I did DTG and RTG courses at 11 Sigs and we started using the place after Burniston Barracks Scarborough was closed and sold off around 91-92. 11 Sigs was a big beast of a place.
Matti
Old 17-01-11, 05:17 PM

It was probably 11 Sigs then because my dad often worked at Catterick, He was 14 Sigs after he left the College. Penney Squadron had either Blue or Red slips I'll have a look on the Photos I have.
Old 18-01-11, 08:55 AM

Default 216 Para Sigs Sqn

My example of the blue/dark blue/green DZ flash (78 x 78 mm) was worn in 1977 by 24105089 Sgt ED Feasey R Signals in 216 Para Sigs Sqn prior to the formation of 6 Field Force HQ and Sigs Sqn.
This doesn't add much to the store of knowledge but at least fixes a style and design in time.
Old 18-01-11, 11:16 AM
Mr. Jackanory

216 and 264(?) were always just a little different to the TA and regulars who were not airborne or 'special'. When undertaking courses they used to mooch around in sand coloured berets and dodgy 'pink' lids. At 8 sigs they were meant to be roughly instep with the reiment they were attached to. I know this as I had the greatest minds of RHQ puzzled for a fortnight over whether I should bull my boots or not as I only officially had one pair. At TA level it was clean thoroughly but at regular it was bull factor 10. This may, in a roundabout way account for a lack of flashes and DZ thingys at training schools where the main stanout point was coloured shoulder flashes.
Matti
Old 19-01-11, 07:25 AM

Mike,

My DZ flash came from Capt Hamilton RNZSigs who spent much of his service with the paras. We did basic training together. He sent it to me and said it was post Falklands 83-85 - he wore it. Have never seen anything official about it. The flash is in a cotton like material. 65 wide x 77 hight. Coincidence that after showing the patch one appears on ebay in the right colours but a different material. Have included another three Signals DZ flashes. The bottom one is a 1980s DZ cotton like material flash from the unit, but I have no idea about the other two. Do you have any ideas on them? The one on the left is felt and the two halfs stiched together with OG material at the back. The one on the right is felt on thin brown paper. Looks like the felt is glued on. Both are at least 20 years old and probably 30 years or so.
BRgds Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
My example of the blue/dark blue/green DZ flash (78 x 78 mm) was worn in 1977 by 24105089 Sgt ED Feasey R Signals in 216 Para Sigs Sqn prior to the formation of 6 Field Force HQ and Sigs Sqn.
This doesn't add much to the store of knowledge but at least fixes a style and design in time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0002.jpg (41.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 22-01-11, 06:28 PM

Anyone know where I can get a 47 Middlesex Yeomanry flash? and how much?
Old 23-01-11, 12:22 AM

Default Middlesex Yeomanry TA DZ Flash - or is it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rordog95 View Post
Anyone know where I can get a 47 Middlesex Yeomanry flash? and how much?
I sold this one last year (sorry). However I am not convinced of the link to the Middlesex Yeomanry or indeed the age or authenticity of the item. Some years ago a connection to the "Trinidad Artillery" was suggested. However, note the rectangular shape and the image might be useful in your search.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3449.jpg (34.9 KB, 8 views)