British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-06-10, 09:48 AM

I'm with Andy on this one.
I find it frustrating that new items cannot be inserted in chronological, or other chosen order.
I need to resort and add to my Welsh Regiment album for example, but to get it right I will have to completly reload it. Also there are a couple of items I've left out of my RWF album but can't stick them in where they should go.
Therefore it's albums first for me please.
Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
I'd be happy to leave things as they are! There are other areas that need a tweek, that IMO need more attention! e.g.

* To be able to move Album photos around, rather than last in first shown! I have brought this up in the past and it is putting me off loading more albums. As a Guardsman I like things to be in order and as new items are obtained, it would be preferable to place them in some order of march!!

After all it is only a tag and in many cases does not mean a lot!

Andy
Old 24-06-10, 09:58 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hello Ian,

Yes, of course you can argue with a guru, if you feel you have a point to make you can argue with anyone, no-one is perfect, I think it is soundly established now that you must not let the argument get personal, anyway, isn't an argument a form of debate and we all know that debates are healthy, in my opinion, of course.

As with Andy and Kevin, I have only a few more badges to acquire for my WWI album and I am going to have to completely re-do it when I have them all........................................a labour of love, no doubt !!!

Dave.

Last edited by davec2; 24-06-10 at 03:36 PM.
Old 24-06-10, 08:57 PM

Default Member Descriptors

Hi Bill

Given that this thread has had 276 viewers and only 16 replies it is evident that the membership has no real interest in redefining the status of the current "guru" appointment.

The thread has now sunk to the very lowest position in the list of Forum contents and is in danger of being hijacked by those who would rather be able to reposition photographs in albums.

I therefore rest my plea and accept that, like others already, should I ever achieve 1000 posts, I will see no point in accepting a "Member Descriptor" other than "Member"

Fear Naught

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 24-06-10, 10:53 PM

Gordon, I've said it before, there's a few Members on this board!
Old 25-06-10, 08:18 AM
Banned

Hi gents I've been following this one with interest and would like to offer my perspective as a new member/member.

I have received a warm welcome to the site in the short time that I have been actively posting and being ex military the the rank style system does appeal, however probably due to this I was slightly daunted at first when I first encountered titles of the like of badge guru and it was with trepidation that I first started to engage in discussion.

However, that said it soon became apparent that character shines through as with rank in the forces, and due to this I felt able to relax and enjoy the experience of gaining the knowledge that is on offer here.

As with any organisation there will be some kind of pecking order and I fully beleive that EXPERIENCE should be recognised and defered to, unlike true rank with which comes (power). I feel that good moderation is the real key here to a successful forum and and that is evident here.

Yes there is a serious side to the forum/hobby and respect this but i feel you already have a good balance of respect and light hearted humour that works really well. I often LOL at some of the banter here.

I think the point about the number of post is very fair, as a member like myself who has many areas of interest may become a prolific poster but obviously the quality and content of these posts will be at first in a lower division to those of the more experienced members. This will no doubt change with time and experience but even then maybe only with regard to a narrow band of a broad spectrum. What I'm really saying is that genuine knowledge will shine through regardless of rank or title and gents I think you've already cracked it.

Only my humble opinion,Keep up the good work.
Regards to all.
Ry

Last edited by Charlie585; 18-08-11 at 01:59 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 25-06-10, 09:09 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
Hi gents I've been following this one with interest and would like to offer my perspective as a new member/member.

I have received a warm welcome to the site in the short time that I have been actively posting and being ex military the the rank style system does appeal, however probably due to this I was slightly daunted at first when I first encountered titles of the like of badge guru and it was with trepidation that I first started to engage in discussion.

However, that said it soon became apparent that character shines through as with rank in the forces, and due to this I felt able to relax and enjoy the experience of gaining the knowledge that is on offer here.

As with any organisation there will be some kind of pecking order and I fully beleive that EXPERIENCE should be recognised and defered to, unlike true rank with which comes (power). I feel that good moderation is the real key here to a successful forum and and that is evident here.

Yes there is a serious side to the forum/hobby and respect this but i feel you already have a good balance of respect and light hearted humour that works really well. I often LOL at some of the banter here.

I think the point about the number of post is very fair, as a member like myself who has many areas of interest may become a prolific poster but obviously the quality and content of these posts are will be at first in a lower division to those of the more experienced members. This will no doubt change with time and experience but even then maybe only with regard to a narrow band of a broad spectrum. What I'm really saying is that genuine knowledge will shine through regardless of rank or title and gents I think you've already cracked it.

Only my humble opinion,Keep up the good work.
Regards to all.
Ry
I think Charlie has hit the nail on the head with the above reply! I also understand Gordons point and there have been some members in the past who have contributed, what seemed to be post after post of endless drivel! Quality and not quantity should result is status. Although I am happy with the current system (I quite like being a Guru!! lol). Perhaps a Feedback system (whoops sounds a little Ebayish) whereby posts can be given a rating by how interesting, informative or helpfull they have been to other members, could be introduced??

But that said, I'd be happy with the current system!

Andy (BADGE GURU- lol)
Old 25-06-10, 10:19 AM
L&BH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
... Perhaps a Feedback system (whoops sounds a little Ebayish) whereby posts can be given a rating by how interesting, informative or helpfull they have been to other members, could be introduced??
Hi Andy,
rating each post is, to me, useless and negative. It may push some members (not only new ones) to avoid posting not to be judged.
This forum is self regulated, self-moderated, it's a very good thing, but judging everybody's post and pointing them to others is not a good solution (personal view point). I don't come here to rate people or even being rated, I come here to learn. I don't care if I ask some guru or Newbie for advice, ditto answering their questions. One can have a Guru's knowledge in a particular field or concerning some regiments and hardly post. As it has already been said, I also prefer quality to quantity.

Just my 2 cents
Phil
Old 25-06-10, 11:15 AM
Badge Guru

I have used forums with what is called a 'karma system' and trust me they are a nightmare to admin. Mikes just going to create a whole load of work for himself if he implemented that. We had some clowns logging into the forum every 30 minutes to smite members. Some members karma became minus 1000! This leads to member frustration and loss of valuable members from the community.

I believe I became a guru because I told the forum how to test for silver badges in the field........with out the use of chemicals. 'I think' Mike thought this was valuable information which is why I became a guru.

Keep plugging away at you area of expertise Gordon (tanks) and I am sure you will become a guru soon.
Old 18-08-11, 02:17 PM
Banned

Hello gents,

I'm re-visiting this thread due to recent comments on the forum.

I made a statement in this thread when it was running over a year ago and I still stand by much of what I said.

However, things seem to have moved on and maybe the stance of the membership has changed since then.

On a personal level, I have learned a vast amount of relevent knowledge due to my membership of the forum and also from the reference books that I have invested in.

This still does not make me an expert, at term that is rightly frowned upon.

I do now possess a certain amount of knowledge and enjoy being able to pass this on but I still don't think that I deserve to be bestowed with the title "Guru".

I get the impression reading between the lines that there is an underlying current of resentment at some members being given this status.

As has been said, it is supposed to be a bit of fun but in fairness to those members that are more experienced in the hobby the fact that a prolific poster is seen to be in the same league must rub a little.

In fact I notice that many of the Gurus are a lot less active these days, which is a shame.

Maybe it is time to have a re-think. I for one would be more than happy to revert to the status of Veteran, in fact I would feel a lot more comfortable being just that.

Maybe those that reach the thousand post level could become a one star veteran with another star added for every successive thousand posts.

Of course those unwilling to revert are entitled and welcome in my opinion to retain their Guru status.

By the way, my status whether changed or not will probably not result in any change in my activity. In short I'll still sound off when I feel the need, Guru or not

Regards to all.

Ry
Old 18-08-11, 02:19 PM

Couldn't agree anymore Ry.
Old 18-08-11, 03:14 PM
Administrator

ok, Changed everyone to "Member" or "New Member" with a couple of exceptions.
Old 18-08-11, 04:46 PM

I would have liked to be called 'forum addict'. It implies no knowledge base but reflects that I am on here in every free minute I have.

I was worried about becoming a 'Guru' so am glad that it will not happen now.

When I first joined the forum I did assume that the 'Guru' title meant that the member was an expert and did not want others thinking that about me. Happily, Mike explained the system to me.

''To be able to move Album photos around, rather than last in first shown! I have brought this up in the past and it is putting me off loading more albums. As a Guardsman I like things to be in order and as new items are obtained, it would be preferable to place them in some order of march!!''

Agree with Andy.

Regards

Phil
Old 18-08-11, 04:48 PM

Sorry but I just had to giggle. We are all 'members' , I'm very immature sometimes!

Phil
Old 18-08-11, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil2m View Post
Sorry but I just had to giggle. We are all 'members' , I'm very immature sometimes!

Phil

Not my choice though, that's them reset back to the default settings

edit: how about "swinging member"?.... ok better not go there
Old 18-08-11, 07:13 PM

It does not seem right that members like myself should be on the same level as people like 2427Andy and a lot of others as it is obvious that I do not have and probally will never have the same level of knowledge of badges. We all have an interest in badges but "gura" should be reserved for people with advanced knowledge. Just my opinion!
Eddie